Train from Bologna to Ravenna

Carol01

We need to get from Bologna to Ravenna to start our October 7 cruise aboard the Quest. I’m looking at booking the train with Trenitalia for the day before, October 6th. Do I need to pre-purchase train tickets online or is it okay to wait and just buy them at the train station on the day of travel? Thanks. 

Service from Bologna to Ravenna is on Regionale trains.  No need to buy in advance, you can't book, just show up, buy at the machine and board.  Don't forget to stamp the tickets at the yellow machine.  In Italy, the fast Freccia trains operate more like an airline where you book in advance and reserve your seat but they don't do Bologna to Ravenna.  Regionale is the local milk run.

2 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Service from Bologna to Ravenna is on Regionale trains.  No need to buy in advance, you can't book, just show up, buy at the machine and board.  Don't forget to stamp the tickets at the yellow machine.  In Italy, the fast Freccia trains operate more like an airline where you book in advance and reserve your seat but they don't do Bologna to Ravenna.  Regionale is the local milk run.

Actually, using the Trenitalia app, you CAN book and pay for your tickets should you wish!

Trains from Bologna Centrale to 

Ravenna are frequent (roughly every hour or less), take about an hour and cost about €8 pp.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harrodsfan said:

The issue will be getting a taxi to the port from the train station. 

Is this based on experience?

Ravenna is a fairly large city (pop. 160,000) and a popular tourist destination.

I would be surprised if getting a taxi at the station would be a problem. In fact if you look at the satellite view of the station in Google Maps and look very carefully you will see at least three taxis!

Edited by blag

5 hours ago, blag said:

Is this based on experience?

Ravenna is a fairly large city (pop. 160,000) and a popular tourist destination.

I would be surprised if getting a taxi at the station would be a problem. In fact if you look at the satellite view of the station in Google Maps and look very carefully you will see at least three taxis!

Our hotel is walking distance to the train station, and the hotel said I would have no trouble getting a taxi to the port, it’s about a ten minute ride. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carol01 said:

Our hotel is walking distance to the train station, and the hotel said I would have no trouble getting a taxi to the port, it’s about a ten minute ride. 

Correction, make that a 20 minute ride. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blag said:

Actually, using the Trenitalia app, you CAN book and pay for your tickets should you wish!

Thanks for the clarification, I should have mentioned that myself.  I was responding to the OP's query if they needed to book in advance.  Point taken!

For a recent cruise, we flew into Bologna (BLQ) and went to Rimini for a side trip up to San Marino.  Then the train to Ravenna to board the ship.  A nice way to see San Marino and enjoy some time before cruising.  So a couple of notes:

1) Bologna airport is easy to navigate.  Know that you will be deplaning via stairs and a bus, so plan accordingly.  Luggage carts are not free. 

2) If you have Priority Pass, you can use it for the lounge outside security.  Nothing fancy, but it does give you fast track access to a priority screening line.  The lounge is available for both departures and arrivals.  It is also available as a paid lounge for 30 Euros per person.

3) If you choose to stay in Rimini to visit San Marino, there is a direct bus from BLQ to Rimini.  Scheduled service and quite nice and easy.

4) If going by train to Ravenna, you will need to take the Marconi Express from BLQ to Bologna Centrale, where you will connect to the Trenitalia train to Ravenna.  Details on the Marconi Express can be found at the BLQ website.

5) There are taxis available at the train stations in both Rimini and Ravenna.  In Ravenna, go out the front door of the station and veer to the left where the taxis pick up passengers.  Taxis will want to charge you a flat rate to the port, since it's a one-way trip and they aren't bringing people back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fairgarth said:

Thanks for the clarification, I should have mentioned that myself.  I was responding to the OP's query if they needed to book in advance.  Point taken!

Thanks for all the help, I just booked train tickets online.