Dining room dress for children

deb380

I can think of one big deal....there is a rule and a very specific request by the company you are cruising with that you abide by that rule.

Not meaning to beat up on you personally, but why is that so difficult? If you want a vacation where there are no such constraints, why not go there? There are cruiselines that do not have that policy...they will be glad to take your money. Go to the Lido for the evening dinner...they don't have that policy. But the dining room does have that policy, and people ought to have the wherewithall to stick to the rules, if not for others, for the rule itself.

Off my soapbox, but this is about the only major gripe I have with people on cruises that I can find absolutely no justification for.

Mark T

When some people pay for a vacation they feel they are paying for the right not to abide by any rules. They constantly look for the loopholes. It is fun reading and participating here.

I will be dining in the LIDO because I do not feel as though Carnival should tell you how to dress while you are on vacation! I paid for this cruise just like everyone else and I should be entitled to the same dining experience as everyone else without having to go all out. You should be able to go to dinner with your group/family and be yourself. :p

I will be dining in the LIDO because I do not feel as though Carnival should tell you how to dress while you are on vacation! I paid for this cruise just like everyone else and I should be entitled to the same dining experience as everyone else without having to go all out. You should be able to go to dinner with your group/family and be yourself. :p

It is nice there are choices for those that want to live in a society where they can do what they want when they want and the way they want because they've paid for it.

We dress for dinner, and DH, who REFUSES to ever wear anything but sandals at home, puts shoes on for the dining room. But, I am finally getting it and going to cross over to the other side. Next cruise (very soon) I am wearing tank tops and jeans to dinner. Heck, maybe even shorts and flip flops. It's MY vacation.

My boss says I have to wear certain attire to work. Not anymore! I'm going to show up when I feel like it and wear what makes me comfortable.

Even better, my Homeowner's Association says I have to maintain my home to their standards. To heck with that! Next week, I am going to stop mowing the lawn, get some livestock for my front yard, park a couple of trailers out there, and paint my house pink and green. I'm even going to jack up a couple of junk cars out there. It's MY house, and I paid good money for it; I'll do what I want with it!:D

My new life is going to be so much easier!

We dress for dinner, and DH, who REFUSES to ever wear anything but sandals at home, puts shoes on for the dining room. But, I am finally getting it and going to cross over to the other side. Next cruise (very soon) I am wearing tank tops and jeans to dinner. Heck, maybe even shorts and flip flops. It's MY vacation.

My boss says I have to wear certain attire to work. Not anymore! I'm going to show up when I feel like it and wear what makes me comfortable.

Even better, my Homeowner's Association says I have to maintain my home to their standards. To heck with that! Next week, I am going to stop mowing the lawn, get some livestock for my front yard, park a couple of trailers out there, and paint my house pink and green. I'm even going to jack up a couple of junk cars out there. It's MY house, and I paid good money for it; I'll do what I want with it!:D

I guess from your comments you are implying that I am trailer trash. Well, I am very far from it. I live in a nice home, keep my yard very nice (because I want to, not because I live in a neighborhood where a Homeowners Association tells me what I can and can not do). I also dress to go to work. Which brings me to my whole point, you are on VACATION!! I guess you are just above everyone else.

Sorry, Leanne - I don't see anything in my reply that called you, or implied that you are trailer trash. I didn't call anyone anything for that matter. (Although I knew when I wrote it that the flames would come.)

My comment was simply that - a comment. It is something called satire and generally intended to be humorous. Quite frankly, I really don't much care what the rest of the passengers wear on "their" cruise. I follow the rules and I teach my kids to do the same. If you want to come to the dining room in jeans, shorts, or even a bathing suit, it won't bother me a bit. Live and let live. I am not the fashion police and not one of those folks who get up in arms about what others wear. It just isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

Now, there may come a day when I decide that I don't want to "dress up" on my vacation. My DH may decide he isn't packing suits for his vacation. Should that time come, "we" will choose to take a cruise without dress codes or skip the dining room. But, that is "us" and our way of living. If one day, we find ourselves seated with you at dinner, and you have chosen to dress in attire that works for "you," I won't raise an eyebrow and will no doubt enjoy your company regardless of what you are wearing to dinner. (As long as you have "something" on!;) )

Couldn't agree with you more, I enjoy dressing up and will also have my kids dressed up but for those of you that don't, its all good to me because I am on vacation.

I see you are going on the Legend later this month, we will be going in April, hope you write a review, would like to know how you enjoy your cruise.

If Carnival would insist that passengers follow the rules regarding dining room attire, this wouldn't be an issue. I wonder what would happen, though, if some passengers decided they didn't want to make the trek up to the Funnel deck for topless sunbathing and thought that the Lido deck would be more suitable for them......hmmmmm.......

LeAnn,

What you may be failing to see is that those who refuse to follow the rules in the dining room depreciates the the dining experience that I paid for. When you come in on formal night, or any evening for that matter, dressed without consideration to the rules, you have told everyone around you that you don't consider them or their right to have a fashionable evening. That "me first" attitude is not appropriate in any venue.

This is why Carnival offers different venues for dining in the evening. If you don't want to dress up, you go to the Lido. If dressing for dinner sounds like something you want to do, you go to the Dining Room or one of the speciality restaurants.

I would never begrudge a person the right to have a good time on a cruise. But, please, in your effort to party hardy, don't mess up my dining time. Isn't that fair enough?

Mark T

What do you call people that feel because they pay the price rules shouldn't apply to them? Not trailer trash but it can't be good. There are alternative places to eat for those that don't want to follow the rules but some still feel the rules don't apply to them if they've paid. Disgusting

Today, 10:14 AM

LeAnn0506

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Feb 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoFromFL

Even better, my Homeowner's Association says I have to maintain my home to their standards. To heck with that! Next week, I am going to stop mowing the lawn, get some livestock for my front yard, park a couple of trailers out there, and paint my house pink and green. I'm even going to jack up a couple of junk cars out there. It's MY house, and I paid good money for it; I'll do what I want with it!

I guess from your comments you are implying that I am trailer trash. Well, I am very far from it. I live in a nice home, keep my yard very nice (because I want to, not because I live in a neighborhood where a Homeowners Association tells me what I can and can not do). I also dress to go to work. Which brings me to my whole point, you are on VACATION!! I guess you are just above everyone else.

We dress for dinner, and DH, who REFUSES to ever wear anything but sandals at home, puts shoes on for the dining room....

Jo, please keep him away from spilling any hot sauces in his lap while dining. The mental picture this conjures is too much for my little addlepated brain! :)

Past cruisers! Can a young teenage boy wears nice kahki shorts and a golf shirt to dinner on evenings other than captains dinner?

Husband says No!

Ouch, just re-read your post, SHORTS? NO WAY.. your husband is correct. It sure wouldnt look good in the cool formal pictures too.

I do agree with NYBunkin, Pants but no shorts.

For myself, going all out is part of the experience so I like eating in the dining room. If you don't want to dress up, then you are still provided food in other areas. I will be traveling with my 3 yo DS and 15 yo DD as well as other family members, some of whom have the same viewpoint you do, they don't want to dress up and one actually wore shorts to his own wedding (my bil). I doubt he'll eat in the dining room, but my 3 yo will be wearing a jacket on formal night, and on other nights he'll have on sweater vests, seersucker short sets etc.

Before I get flamed, he's totally NOT a little lord fauntleroy type of boy-he's a rough and tumble, hates a bath and haircut but loves to spit kind of kid. I want to teach him (and my DD) how to dress for different situations and places. It goes along with teaching him how to sit at a table and put a napkin in his lap and not act like a wild animal.

Ouch, just re-read your post, SHORTS? NO WAY.. your husband is correct. It sure wouldnt look good in the cool formal pictures too.

You obviously haven't read all this thread, have you! Carnival clearly states that children are to follow the same dress code as adults. (Oops, you changed your post while I was posting!)

Now, about 20 years ago I hosted a group of Japanese, and one of the men had the neatest suit. It was short sleeved! It would qualify because it met the criteria, but if it had short pants it would not, even though the shirt and tie were there. Boy, the stares he got!

Mark T

Before I get flamed, he's totally NOT a little lord fauntleroy type of boy-he's a rough and tumble, hates a bath and haircut but loves to spit kind of kid. I want to teach him (and my DD) how to dress for different situations and places. It goes along with teaching him how to sit at a table and put a napkin in his lap and not act like a wild animal.

Keriann - I make sure our three sons dress up when they're in the dining room. (The two younger ones alternate between the dining room and dining with their Camp Carnival friends on Lido deck, while oldest son eats in the dining room with us every night - except one night last year when he slept through dinner!) Last year I found tuxes for them on eBay for formal nights - made for some nice pictures. I'm hoping they haven't outgrown them for this year's cruise. Mine aren't crazy about dressing up, but they do it because they know it's expected of them. (That doesn't mean they stay dressed up long after dinner....)

My daughter is very excited about dressing up for the formal nights! She has her Christmas dress from last year and we are looking for the perfect Easter dress for the second formal night. She always wears skirts or dresses to church so she has a few to choose from for the casual nights.

That leads me to another question...one of her favorite skirts is a denim (jean:eek: ) skirt. Do you think that would be OK for casual dinners?

My daughter is always excited to dress up too. It is so much fun when we go shopping for more formal clothing!

I think it would technically be ok to wear your denim skirt on casual night if that is what you feel comfortable in. I have never cruised before so I did ask my parents about the dress code and what they have seen in the dining room on their last couple cruises. My mom said she saw some people in denim skirts and a small number in jeans. My parents are firm on the "No Denim in any form" when you go to dinner, but I will possibly wear a denim skirt during the day or to hang out after dinner.

Leanne did say she planned on eating at the Lido so she could dress as desired. So for those of you who would have their experience diminished by someone not following the dress code in the dining room, this gal would not be the guilty party.

I do wish though, that all the lines would make a policy and enforce it. I would be fine with any polcy casual to formal, but sticking to something sure would eliminate a lot of hostility.

Leanne did say she planned on eating at the Lido so she could dress as desired. So for those of you who would have their experience diminished by someone not following the dress code in the dining room, this gal would not be the guilty party.

I do wish though, that all the lines would make a policy and enforce it. I would be fine with any polcy casual to formal, but sticking to something sure would eliminate a lot of hostility.

I agree. If you don't want to dress up, go to the Lido deck. How hard is it to put on a sundress (for women) or dockers and a polo shirt (for men) if you want to eat in the dining room on non-formal night? When we don't want to change, we go eat up on the Lido deck. That doesn't happen very often as we enjoy the dining room. We usually eat there for lunch at least 3 times.

Just got back! From seeing other diners, I wouldn't think you would be comfortable with your teenage son in shorts. Nice carpenter jeans, maybe, just not on formal night. Khakis (even school uniform type) would fit in much better, and not make you (or him) feel he was underdressed.

To moms of toddler boys, who like me, do not want to pack a lot: I saw the coolest thing at Baby Gap this weekend...pants for boys that turn into shorts! That's right, they are nice khaki material and actually "zip off" just below the knee to become shorts.

What a great idea! Check it out

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=12384&pid=348054

I can see other great applications for these, beyond the whole cruise/dining room thing...quite often we head out right after church to do things and this would eliminate the need to always pack clothes to change into during the summer.

I am going to order some in all 3 colors :)

As for the rest of the heated discussion, well, its interesting what fires people up. That is all I am going to say. To each his own.

Just wanted to pass along the GAP convertible pants find

To moms of toddler boys, who like me, do not want to pack a lot: I saw the coolest thing at Baby Gap this weekend...pants for boys that turn into shorts! That's right, they are nice khaki material and actually "zip off" just below the knee to become shorts.

What a great idea! Check it out

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=12384&pid=348054

I can see other great applications for these, beyond the whole cruise/dining room thing...quite often we head out right after church to do things and this would eliminate the need to always pack clothes to change into during the summer.

I am going to order some in all 3 colors :)

As for the rest of the heated discussion, well, its interesting what fires people up. That is all I am going to say. To each his own.

Just wanted to pass along the GAP convertible pants find

What a nice comprimise for the parents who want their kids to actually dress for the dining room...and then they can get comfortable right after.

I have seen these in children's and even adults sizes.

What a nice comprimise for the parents who want their kids to actually dress for the dining room...and then they can get comfortable right after.

I have seen these in children's and even adults sizes.

Yay for GAP for being so in tune to parents needs...the kids grow so fast it's always a good thing to get multiple uses out of something - clothes are so expensive these days.

For a cruise situation - - I had actually envisioned shorts during the day, zip on the pants for night, then pj's after dinner. That is, if the shorts aren't trashed from spending too much time at the ice cream bar :)

But that is why you buy 3 pair :)

Archived