New to MSC- price comparing drinks/wifi included package or without?

jumbojem96

Hi! 

We are considering an MSC Seascape sailing for next spring. It would be our first time on MSC. 

We will be booking for a group of 8 people. 6 adults (5 drinking alcohol) and 2 kids.
2 adults one kid in one room (1 drinker)

2 adults one kid in another room (2 drinkers)

2 adults in one room (both drinkers)

Will it be cheaper to book rooms without the drinks and Wi-Fi packages or to add on the drinks packages later?

We also know that if we buy the balcony room fare with drinks included, we will want to upgrade to the plus or premium beverage package. 

Can anyone give advice on what might be the best way to go in your experience? Thanks! 

Edited by jumbojem96

I should add I have talked to several United cruises agents about this over the phone. They are only able to give vague answers, not any suggestions based on experience, so I thought I would come to you all. 

Edited by jumbojem96

• jumbojem96 changed the title to New to MSC- price comparing drinks/wifi included package or without?

It all depends on what offer you are booking.  Some rates include drinks/wifi and they can be very reasonable vs the room only pricing.   Other sailings/bookings it is not a bargain.  Generally speaking, however, the package prices for drinks/wifi to add later or separately are way more expensive that purchasing as a bundle.  MSC has complicated pricing structures and promotions that change all of the time. Best advice is to get a travel agent and have them do some research for you.

• Like 1

Generally speaking drink packages cost more once on board because gratuities are added to the charge.  If pre-paying compare the cabin price with and without the package;  the package price varies greatly when included with the cabin fare, as little as $150 up to $350 per week per person.  So, you can figure how much you need to drink each day to break even over a la carte bar pricing (which is expensive).  We like the packages when included with the cabin fare if less than an additional $200 per week per person as it is a great convenience not to have to sign and tip for each coffee, beer, soda, wine etc.

• Like 1

I may be incorrect but thought with MSC if one person in a room has the drink package everyone has it, there was a thread about this recently but I can't find it!!

Also if you pre purchase you avoid the 15% tax on drink package as neptuno said

Can I point out you have mentioned a travel/cruise agency by name, this isn't allowed by Cruise Critic