Uber and taxi pick up from San Pedro to LAX

juksing

Hello

does anyone have updated info on where and how Uber pickups from Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro berth 92?  We are on a  B2B and was playing with the Uber app during turnaround day and doing a pretend booking and the Uber app kept choosing a pickup location from the main road outside the cruise terminal instead of inside the terminal area.

Should we wait  until we exit to call the Uber and does uber pick up directly outside the terminal or do we have to get back to the main road?  

Or if there is a taxi line that would be just as good.  We have to really move fast due to an earlier flight than we would like.

thanks

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

There is no advantage to walking outside the terminal area to get an Uber. Download Lyft too so you have a second option, and assuming you are walking off in the first group that morning, there should be taxi waiting.

I'd love to get some recent experience with the taxi situation at SP, specifically when they start arriving. Our last trip out of there was just pre-COVID, and we were among the first early self walk-offs off a Princess ship. When we got outside the terminal there were absolutely NO taxis to be seen anywhere, which I found amazing, as we'd never experienced this before. Obviously, it was simply too early for them to show up. Fortunately, the old SuperShuttle was still in operation, and we walked up to a blue mini-bus and were on our way to LAX as soon as it filled up,  within 10 minutes. A lot cheaper than a taxi would have been as well.

We just got off Nav of the seas (Monday) at the first berth with self walk off and was through immigration at 7:40 am and did not see any cabs.  We went to the middle pick up area to call our Uber and waited about 10 mins for Uber.  While waiting I did hear someone from the inside curb talk in a radio like voice what I thought was something about “ we need some taxis…” about 5 minutes later 3 cabs went by to the far end of the pier.  I saw a couple take off running from the pick up area towards the cab but no idea wether they were successful or not.  Once we were in our Uber we drove by the taxi area at the far end of the pier and there were some people milling about but no cabs.  Overall seemed. like a lot of people milling about but not much pick up happening.

8 hours ago, juksing said:

We just got off Nav of the seas (Monday) at the first berth with self walk off and was through immigration at 7:40 am and did not see any cabs.  We went to the middle pick up area to call our Uber and waited about 10 mins for Uber.  While waiting I did hear someone from the inside curb talk in a radio like voice what I thought was something about “ we need some taxis…” about 5 minutes later 3 cabs went by to the far end of the pier.  I saw a couple take off running from the pick up area towards the cab but no idea wether they were successful or not.  Once we were in our Uber we drove by the taxi area at the far end of the pier and there were some people milling about but no cabs.  Overall seemed. like a lot of people milling about but not much pick up happening.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like the taxis take their time to show up at the port and don't want to bother getting there too early.  I wonder when they do start to arrive en masse.

We were on/off the Navigator a month ago and took Uber from the hotel to the ship and back.  Tip #1, RSVP the day before.  Pick up is just outside the terminal maybe 50 yard walk depending on how far you want to get away from the crowds with luggage.  The actual location is an island a couple of lanes over from the road right in front of the terminal exit.  When you go to book it will give you the pier #92 location as an option.  The reason I say, "RSVP the day before" is we were at the curb and loading up with people who had been waiting 30 minutes for their Uber and with some who couldn't even get a confirmed pick up.  I did see several taxi's but not right in front of the terminal.  They were a short walk to the right.      

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We were on/off the Navigator a month ago and took Uber from the hotel to the ship and back.  Tip #1, RSVP the day before.  Pick up is just outside the terminal maybe 50 yard walk depending on how far you want to get away from the crowds with luggage.  The actual location is an island a couple of lanes over from the road right in front of the terminal exit.  When you go to book it will give you the pier #92 location as an option.  The reason I say, "RSVP the day before" is we were at the curb and loading up with people who had been waiting 30 minutes for their Uber and with some who couldn't even get a confirmed pick up.  I did see several taxi's but not right in front of the terminal.  They were a short walk to the right.      

This is old thread, but the only caveat to reserving an Uber if you are rushing to catch a flight it is difficult to predict when you will get off the ship,  I would be worried about the driver leaving on me if I am late Or I get off earlier than anticipated and am stuck waiting for a reserved Uber when I could leave earlier or take a Taxi.

WHAT OTHER FEATURES MAKE UBER RESERVE SPECIAL?

- Upfront Driver Assignment: When possible, a driver will be assigned to your request before the pickup time, rather than shortly before the ride.

- Arrive Early & Wait: Drivers will arrive several minutes before your departure time, and will wait for 5 minutes (Economy products) to 15 minutes (Premium products), waiting time that is included in your fare.