RCCL cruise out of Ravenna - options?

Marken

Multi generation family travelling on a 14 day cruise out of Venice (Ravenna) next June.  Original plan was to fly into Bologna - transfer to Ravenna for 3 nights then board the ship.  After hours of reading on here - I'm not sure that is the best way to go.  Is 3 nights in Ravenna too long?   Should we do a couple in Bologna and one pre-cruise in Ravenna (to see mosaics and the beach) or go into Venice and stay there (original plan was to see Venice after the cruise)   We have a "stress" traveller and one over 83 will arrange private airport transfers - just keeps it simple.  Also hotel suggestions for Ravenna would be appreciated.

Thanks so much everyone!!

Am a little confused. Do you intend to fly in and out of Italy from Bologna?  If so, I would suggest a train from Bologna into Venice pre-cruise and spend 3 nights.  Then, back to Bologna via train and on to Ravenna for your cruise ship.  When the ship returns to Ravenna, you could store your luggage at a Ravenna hotel, and spend the day visiting the mosaics. Over-night in Ravenna and then back to Bologna for flight home. If you are taking the train, I would suggest overnighting at NH Ravenna (where my husband and I stayed last September). It is an easy 3 block walk from the train station, reasonably priced with comfortable quiet rooms and a nice breakfast. The mosaics of Ravenna are wonderful, but 3 days there is a bit long IMO especially when you compare it to all the splendors in Venice. Of course, if you are flying in and out of different cities, that opens up more possibilities.

We originally thought we would fly into Bologna and out of Venice.  After reading info about Ravenna I am not sure 3 nights isn't too long.  Plan to visit Venice after the cruise for 3 or 4 nights but everything is adjustable if 3 nights in Ravenna is too long.  Will check out the NH Ravenna -  thanks!!

I think your original plan makes sense (fly into Bologna, out of Venice) and the alteration of spending a couple of nights in Bologna makes a lot of sense.  There is quite a lot to see and especially eat in Bologna, and it would allow your elderly/stressed family members to adjust to the time change without a lot of immediate post-flight transfer.

Sounds like a terrific family trip!  Bologna and Venice are good smaller airports for your mixed travel group.  If I was doing it, I’d fly into Bologna and spend the first night there.  Reduces the stress if flight is late and people will be tired.  I don’t think Bologna has any big, must do sites unless I’m forgetting something.  I visited there many years ago but what we did was walk around and look at architecture and have a nice meal.  There was also a small market (clothing not food).

The next day I’d make my way to Ravenna.  If you do a private transfer, they might take you to see something along the way?  

The third day I’d visit the tombs.

We rented bikes in Ravenna so if you have any more adventurous people that’s an option.  We used the path to get between the different tombs and to enjoy the countryside a bit.

The treasures of the large cities of Italy are not to be missed but I love the feel of the smaller “real” towns.