Nelson's Dockyard

marxbrsfan

Hi,

We're coming to Antigua via Golden Princess 3/22. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get to Nelson's Dockyard w/o booking a tour?

That's an easy one ! Once you get off the ship - go the taxi stand - it will be the first thing you see, it is right next the A&B Tourism center. Explain that you are not looking for a tour. The fare for a group of 4 or less is approx 30$USD each way. If there are more than 4, then it is $8 USD per person each way. There may be an additional fee if your assigned driver waits for you at the Dockyard.

There is a $5 USD fee for entrance into the Dockyard, included in this fee is a guided tour of the Dockyard and also covers the entrance for the Interpretation Center and Shirley Heights.

Yes but then you are on a bus with 40-50 other people being told when to get on, when to get off, when to stop for a bathroom break......so it is a tradeoff......less money = less control over your day....

We rented a car for the whole day for 51.00 + and went all over the whole island....had a blast. Two couples split the cost so worked out with insurance and gas etc to about 20.00 per person but went ALL OVER THE ISLAND...

Yeah, thats a good point about 'paying' for control. I guess taxi fare of $30 per person, each way, was just :eek: to me. For 2 people, thats $120 just to GET TO Nelson's... but if thats acceptable to someone, well ok. For me and my pocket, no way. The smaller tours dont carry 50-60 people, do they?? Im not talking a ships tour, I mean like with Lawrence or one of the local tour guides at the pier. Maybe they only offer island tours and not just one-stop transportation like a taxi would... I dont know.

The taxi fare from St.Johns to Nelsons Dockyard is not $30 USD per person. If the number of passengers is 4 or less - it is a flat rate of $30. If there are more than 4 passengers, then each passenger is charged $8 USD, so 5 passengers would pay in total $40, 6 pay a total of $48 etc etc etc.

Ohhhhh now that I re-read your post, MaraGirl, I see... you did not say "per person". Im sorry about that confusion! Stupid me. Man, I was so surprised at that amount, lol.... duh. :rolleyes:

Archived