Anchorage Covid Testing?

Timelinex

I have a cruise with Holland that is boarding September 4th from Anchorage. I will be there beforehand by august 29th. I was going to order those at home tests for my family, but now I'm thinking it ay be easier (and cheaper?) to just get a local test done.

If I understand correctly, the antigen test needs to be done no earlier than Sept 2nd but needs to be done and uploaded by September 3rd into Verifly to use that app at check-in?

Does anyone know of the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get an acceptable test in Anchorage? We are a family of 3 and will be with another family of 3.

Thanks!

Have you thought of bringing government approved tests and doing them while being proctored? Total Tearing Solutions does them for $15 per person. These are accepted by HAL. You make 3 appointments and can do your tests together. Very easy on the budget. 

12 hours ago, Timelinex said:

I have a cruise with Holland that is boarding September 4th from Anchorage.

We maybe on the same cruise.

My TA sent me this "When you get to the ship in Whitter by train, the cruise line will do complimentary covid testing at the port before you get on the ship"

Edited by jphks

11 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Have you thought of bringing government approved tests and doing them while being proctored? Total Tearing Solutions does them for $15 per person. These are accepted by HAL. You make 3 appointments and can do your tests together. Very easy on the budget. 

I googled that name and I found $35 a person. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

1 hour ago, jphks said:

We maybe on the same cruise.

My TA sent me this "When you get to the ship in Whitter by train, the cruise line will do complimentary covid testing at the port before you get on the ship"

I.saw that thread and I believe yours is that way because you have the land trip before. Otherwise they do not do free preboarding tests

18 hours ago, Timelinex said:

...I will be there beforehand by august 29th. I was going to order those at home tests for my family, but now I'm thinking it ay be easier (and cheaper?) to just get a local test done...

I did realize that you'd be in Alaska outside of your cruise, sorry for the misunderstanding.

5 hours ago, Timelinex said:

I googled that name and I found $35 a person. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

I.saw that thread and I believe yours is that way because you have the land trip before. Otherwise they do not do free preboarding tests

I just looked on-line and see that it is now $25 per person. The advantage is you can use your free government tests. They offer insurance options if you are from California. You may want to check at Safeway stores in Anchorage to see what they offer. They may do rapid tests there. Hope this helps.

Have you considered Walgreens drive through testing? There are 5 locations in Anchorage. You don't leave your car and it's done in 5 minutes. We've used them multiple times with results just a few hours later by email. None of the rapid tests have been submitted to our insurance. Only when we did PCR lab testing did it go through insurance and despite having a $12k deductible it was fully covered. (YMMV)

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing 

10 minutes ago, smashedpumpkins said:

Have you considered Walgreens drive through testing? There are 5 locations in Anchorage. You don't leave your car and it's done in 5 minutes. We've used them multiple times with results just a few hours later by email. None of the rapid tests have been submitted to our insurance. Only when we did PCR lab testing did it go through insurance and despite having a $12k deductible it was fully covered. (YMMV)

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing 

I think they have changed it to $130 per person when it's done for the point of travel.....

Has anyone just told them it's for exposure reasons to avoid that fee......

If you need to do a proctored self test, be sure it is one HAL accepts. Check the COVID FAQ “Are self tests allowed?” answer. The last time I checked only certain ones were accepted. But that may have changed in the most recent update. 

51 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

If you need to do a proctored self test, be sure it is one HAL accepts. Check the COVID FAQ “Are self tests allowed?” answer. The last time I checked only certain ones were accepted. But that may have changed in the most recent update. 

From my understanding they recommend 2 specific ones but any telehealth monitored ones are accepted

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timelinex said:

So sounds like no one has any easy places in ANC and the telehealth option may be best? May be a bit difficult to get something delivered considering I leave in a few days!

You can buy an FDA approved test at any drugstore and book an appointment with any of the medically proctored on-line health services.

• Like 1

Just to confirm. When they say that antigen testing needs to be done within 2 days of embarkation.... What does that mean exactly? If embarkation is officially 8pm with a scheduled board time of 3pm on Sept 4th.... Does that mean the test needs to be done no sooner that sept 2nd 12:01am, 3pm, or 8pm??

The PCR one is clearer as it literally says 72 hours, instead of saying the vague notion of "days"

Edited by Timelinex

ArriveCAN specifically says 2 days for the antigen tests.  It specifies exactly 72 hours for a PCR test.

From Canadian Government site (highlighting is mine):

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

"Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained"
Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

ArriveCAN specifically says 2 days for the antigen tests.  It specifies exactly 72 hours for a PCR test.

From Canadian Government site (highlighting is mine):

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

"Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained"

Awesome, so sounds like I can take it anytime on September 2nd.

Thank you!