Gifts for ship's staff?

I thought it would be nice to give phone cards to our cabin steward and dining room waiters so they could call home.

Can anyone suggest the best "brand" or whatever of phone card to give out, for staff on a ship cruising the Caribbean? (The ship will be re-positioned in May to work the Alaska routes). I know less than nothing about phone cards.

Or are there any other type of non-monetary gifts recommended by members?

This question is asked, and answered a lot on this board, and the advice always given is: nothing other than cash. You must realize that these workers are there to send money home to their families, they live in very cramped quarters and don't have room for little gifts or trinkets, regardless of how well-meaning. Phone cards that you purchase in the US or Canada don't work in the ports so it's a waste of time to give those---and a waste of your money if you buy them for yourself to use to call home from the ports (you have to buy phone cards at each individual port and then hope you find a phone that takes them). Cash is the only thing to give them.

I agree. Cash is really the only thing they want or need.

Although many of us have given the stewards little 'goodie bags', we just don't do it any longer. It's apparent they need CASH - also their living quarters are shared and very small. No space to put little happies.

Your heart is in the right place - but just think "GREEN".:)

I thought it would be nice to give phone cards to our cabin steward and dining room waiters so they could call home.

Can anyone suggest the best "brand" or whatever of phone card to give out, for staff on a ship cruising the Caribbean? (The ship will be re-positioned in May to work the Alaska routes). I know less than nothing about phone cards.

Or are there any other type of non-monetary gifts recommended by members?

...to get phone cards when they would most appreciate the cash....;)

I vote for cash.... easiest to shop for...:D

I agree about the cash. The crew knows what phone cards work from each port, and know where to get them. Many just use cell phones set up on plans that work for them from the ports they are travelling to anyway. I don't see the line-ups at the pay phones in ports like I used to.

Archived