I need a little help from the regular cruiser's

enzo0210

:confused: Hey everyone i really need your help...please. i am a native of Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands the locatioin of Carnival's newest port in the caribbean. I want to start a business but i want to offer something different /or something worth my time to invest. I was thinking of jet ski rentals..but i know there are gonna be at least two other companies, so if i do this i am thinking of offering tours instead of regular rentals. Also i can offer a aqua park similiar to COCO cay which i think is a good idea..i have seen electric floating lounge chairs, aqua cycles etc which are also good idea i think. If anyone can help me with any ides i would greatly appreciate it.

Noordam

I am a recent college graduate so i dont have unlimited funds to invest .. i am going to start off kinda small then grow.

Anything you can include for people with mobility handicaps would be most welcome...................as our population ages, it is hard to find things to do in ports if you cannot climb up onto a bus, or hike around a beach. Go to the Disabled cruiser board on this and other cruise message boards, and see how welcome such an offer would be.............maybe a handicapped van with transfer to a beach with a wheelchair path to the water, or a walking tour, with shopping (you can get merchants to participate) on walkways, and into stores with ramps or flat entrances..............restrooms on the first floor, with no steps, and no doors that have to be pulled or pushed open....... Anyway, I think this would be a good idea, and you could start small, with just YOU.................and contact the cruise lines to offer your service, or post on the Ports of Call message boards.

I like DesrtDrmr suggestion and concept but would like to add something... ...

To segment your market to those with a limited mobility - would be great. I believe that its an undersuppled sector with lots of demand. It could be a complement rather than be competition with existing operations which would expand the market and help everyone.

But you have added factors to consider.

I have taught downhill skiing for many years to folks that are old enough to have grandchildren. They have come to the conclusion that their life is not over and want some fresh excitement.

They also recognize that healing those little bruises or worse takes a lot longer than when they were teenagers.

While equipment has made quantum leaps in safety and performance, the biggest hump to get over is FEAR. This is especially true for any handicap or a limited mobility person. You need to provide comfort - and sometimes this means individual hands on accomdation. This raises the cost far beyond that of playing leader of the pack.

A service combining speciality accomdation and personal touch to reduce or eliminate fear might be the way to go.

Just a thought.

J

I think you will need a web site. I always do lots of research on excursions for each island I am going to visit and I believe many other do also. If you do get a web site, make sure you list prices.

HOw about a small beach bar/restaurant that rents chairs, umbrellas and snorkel equipment? We always enjoy going to the beach on the islands, but its sometimes hard to find a place to go. Lockers are always appreciated, too, by cruisers carrying personal belongings.

If you don't have the capital to open a restaurant, maybe you could work with an existing facility to offer these items. Your capital investment would be small, and liability would be low compared to say, a jet ski operation.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply's... Yes i was going to develop a website that list the prices of my rental/tours and show pictures of the location. The idea to rent beach chairs and umbrella are already take.. the gov't has all the popular locations already alotted to certain people so thats gonna be tricky... but i can do a floating waterpark in those areas because it is a different operation.

Archived