HDMI ports on NCL Sun?

Travelling2Some

Can anyone say if there is a usable HDMI port on the TVs in the cabins?  I say "usable" because in some hotels we have found that, while the port exists, it cannot be accessed due to the way the TV has been installed.  We are going on an 18 day transatlantic on the Sun and were thinking we might like to bring some favorite movies along.

14 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Can anyone say if there is a usable HDMI port on the TVs in the cabins?  I say "usable" because in some hotels we have found that, while the port exists, it cannot be accessed due to the way the TV has been installed.  We are going on an 18 day transatlantic on the Sun and were thinking we might like to bring some favorite movies along.

I'm the OP.  Just wanted to add that this question is coming from my husband, not me.  He is tech savvy and has any and all equipment needed to "feed" the TV from his various devices.  He just wants a "yes or no" answer as to if there is a usable HDMI port on the TVs in the Sun's cabins.  It's not likely to be something a call center rep would know so I was hoping somebody here who was recently aboard would know.

Almost every flatscreen tv they make these days usually has some sort of HDMI port in the back or along the side.  I’ve always known them to just be device inputs though, and the outputs are usually in the form of a USB or S-video cable port.   They make S-to-HDMI adapters.  But it sounds like he has a rig he’s already familiar with.   

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

Almost every flatscreen tv they make these days usually has some sort of HDMI port in the back or along the side.    

Agree but what I am trying to find out is if the HDMI port on the Sun's TVs is usable/accessible.  Sometimes they are affixed to the wall in such a way that, while the port may exist on the back of the TV, you cannot get to it to plug anything in.  Still hoping to get an answer but I realize the majority of folks probably would not have noticed.  Just trying to avoid bringing unusable items and then having to drag them around Europe after the cruise.

I recommend you go to one of the recent roll calls to ask those that sailed or about to sail on the Norwegian Sun about their experience - it'll help to identify the type/category of stateroom you are booked in.  I believe with these older ships remaining in service, that most had been upgraded (if not all) to newer HDTV monitor - the specific brand/model as used on the Sun should be helpful.  The *Away/+ class ships typically used an active HDMI input for signals - it's a matter of disconnecting & using your own HDMI cable to feed the input signal ... you CANNOT, generally, switch or change to another HDMI port as it's firmware locked on these hospitality graded monitors.  Some reported success using an universal remote control or perhaps a top end Harmony remote.   Other ships, specifically, the Dawn & Gem are using a different branded HDTV and its default data/input signal is a locking cable/coaxial signal and while HDMI ports are "present" - they were disabled &  not switchable.  

If a laptop or notebook is too heavy to haul around, consider bringing a Chromebook (14" or better viewing - I go with a 11" touchscreen as it's lighter & easy to toss into my Timbuktu day bag or backpack & videos on USB stick.  Like hotels, some make it traveler's friendly with dedicated user-friend port access, while others don't ... cruise lines aren't different and of course, not all folks are tech-inclined & others prefer to leave their devices "home" or locked away, shut down.  Regardless, good luck ! 

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Agree but what I am trying to find out is if the HDMI port on the Sun's TVs is usable/accessible. 

This is a recent shot of a balcony stateroom on Sun showing the TV monitor.  It was posted in 2019 so it was after the drydock refurbs.

They definately look accessible.  But I don't think anyone can tell you whether a port is going to be usable or not unless they just came from the stateroom you're going to be in.

NCL_SUN_BALC.JPG

Did you search for previous posts on this topic?  I am pretty sure this has been discussed before and someone stated that the HDMI inputs had been disabled.  

To others reading this, the question isn't whether there is an HDMI port of even if you can physically get to the port, the question is whether once you've plugged into the port, the device will receive/recognize your input.  

Edited by PATRLR

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Agree but what I am trying to find out is if the HDMI port on the Sun's TVs is usable/accessible.  Sometimes they are affixed to the wall in such a way that, while the port may exist on the back of the TV, you cannot get to it to plug anything in.  Still hoping to get an answer but I realize the majority of folks probably would not have noticed.  Just trying to avoid bringing unusable items and then having to drag them around Europe after the cruise.

We were on the Sun back in May...I asked my hubby (the tech guru in our house), but he couldn't remember specifically. 

If I recall correctly, depending upon which type of cabin/suite you're in, the TV is mounted on the wall.  That being said...I think we tried, very carefully to get access to the HDMI ports on it (it's tricky, cause the TV is so close to the wall)...and I think we might have been able to get it to work.  (We did bring the correct cables along.)  We were trying to stream (we had the unlimited wifi with streaming package)...and I think it was the "streaming" part where we had an actual issue.  (We were able to stream on our devices when we went to several of the lounges, but it seems to me that the wifi wasn't strong enough to actually work when we tried to do it through to the TV.  We didn't have movies/shows downloaded onto our devices, so I don't know if that would work better.)  

One thing I would point out, the Sun did have a number of TV/technical issues (we were on only the second cruise since the ship came back into service after the two-year shut down)...and there were times when we couldn't get anything on the TV...so that issue might have been corrected by now.

Hope this is helpful...and perhaps someone who's cruised more recently on the Sun could give you a more up-to-date answer than me...

(Quick note:  if you happen to be in a suite and have access to the suite breakfasts and lunches in Cagney's the service there is absolutely terrific...and the staff there is wonderful.)

Thanks so much!  I was just looking at some of the YouTube cabin tours and I saw a good indication in several that the back and sides of the TVs are fully accessible.  We're not in a suite but in several inside/standard balcony cabin tours I could see that the TV is mounted on an flexible arm and can easily be pulled away from the wall.  Gotta love YouTube, lol.  We would just be wanting to watch movies and maybe even family/travel photos that are already downloaded to various devices.  My husband knows how to do all that so he was just needing to know if the port exists and is accessible.  Thanks again to all who answered.

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

I recommend you go to one of the recent roll calls to ask those that sailed or about to sail on the Norwegian Sun about their experience - it'll help to identify the type/category of stateroom you are booked in.  I believe with these older ships remaining in service, that most had been upgraded (if not all) to newer HDTV monitor - the specific brand/model as used on the Sun should be helpful.  The *Away/+ class ships typically used an active HDMI input for signals - it's a matter of disconnecting & using your own HDMI cable to feed the input signal ... you CANNOT, generally, switch or change to another HDMI port as it's firmware locked on these hospitality graded monitors.  Some reported success using an universal remote control or perhaps a top end Harmony remote.   Other ships, specifically, the Dawn & Gem are using a different branded HDTV and its default data/input signal is a locking cable/coaxial signal and while HDMI ports are "present" - they were disabled &  not switchable.  

Thanks.  I agree that it sounds like my best bet is to ask on the Roll Calls. 

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Did you search for previous posts on this topic?  I am pretty sure this has been discussed before and someone stated that the HDMI inputs had been disabled.  

To others reading this, the question isn't whether there is an HDMI port of even if you can physically get to the port, the question is whether once you've plugged into the port, the device will receive/recognize your input.  

Thanks for the succinct and to the point reply:)  I did try to search "HDMI + Sun" but did not come up with anything relevant.  

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks.  I agree that it sounds like my best bet is to ask on the Roll Calls. 

Not necessary applicable to the Sun, this was our Getaway balcony with the "older" HDTV at 720p resolution and usable HDMI port, a matter of making the connection behind (LED flashlight comes in handy) replacing the existing HDMI input cable.  Coaxial connection not used on the "Sole" TV - Gem & Dawn upgraded to "LG" TV monitors using coaxial input, HDMI ports firmware disabled/locked & not usable, despite being "user-accessible"   On the Joy, the HDMI port was accessible & a matter of making a direct cable connection (10 ft. length) from the laptop to the TV monitor - easy & simple ... Windows 10 Pro desktop on the 26" widescreen display  

If hubby is attempting to stream, be advised that Google TV Chromecast & alike won't successful set-up, whereas, Roku was usable to connect to ship's WiFi ... casting content, still a problem b/c of various http ports being blocked, unless you subscribed to the paid, premium unlimited WiFi package onboard. 

PXL_20220328_014843272.jpg

PXL_20220328_204122571.jpg

Edited by mking8288

We would not expect to be able to stream on most of a transatlantic.  Just looking to play our own downloaded stuff on the Sun.  Thanks for the info on the Dawn.  We are booked on the Dawn later this year but it is a very port intensive cruise in the Baltics.  Not a single sea day so we would not watch movies on that cruise anyway.  I do not understand tech stuff but will show your post to DH and I'm sure he will understand it.  I joke with him about how complicated it is just to watch TV in our house thanks to tech overkill.  Very good thing that I prefer to read books anyway, lol.  Thanks - all info is appreciated!

Edited by Travelling2Some