Madrid Pre-Cruise Extension

Kamfish642

We are on the December 2022 TA from Barcelona to FLL on the new Neptune, and we have booked a pre-cruise extension in Madrid.  Has anyone that who has experience this give me some insights as far as the hotel, included excursion and other sites, and specifically details on train from Madrid to Barcelona?

W@e did this cruise in April 2022 and enjoyed our prestay in Madrid. The included tour highlight for us was the Museum tour. Our guide was a history/art major. She was very informative on the time period a painting was painted. She also told us would to look for in the paintings by the many different artist.

One advantage of our April 2022 cruise was the lack o crowds.

Train trip from Madrid to Barcelona:

We were bused to the train station and when to the VIP waiting room. There were snacks and drinks available. The Train trip was in first class which included a hot breakfast for us.

The only major problem was our 2 buses from the train and 3 other full buses arrived at the same time to the ship. We all had to take a covid test before getting on the ship. We had taken a covid test before we left the hotel but we all had to take another covid test before getting on the ship.

When we finally got on the ship;2 1/2 hours after arriving at the port, the only place to get something to eat was the pool grill.  We ordered room service which was delivered within 1 minutes.

Our cabin steward was at our cabin within 5 minutes thanked us for taking the cruise so that he did not get layed off.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

We took the Madrid pre-extension in 2019.  It was early November so few tourists.  We really enjoyed the few days - the hotel Intercontinental was very well situated for taxis and walking with a very good breakfast.  The Viking rep. At the hotel gave us some excellent suggestions for restaurants close by and our museum visit was also wonderful. Train to Barcelona was very pleasant, first class seats, and we had lunch on board.  We didn’t have any of MSEm’s problem with the bus transfer in Barcelona but it was, of course, pre-Covid.

Enjoy Madrid - it is a very beautiful and comfortable city to visit.

• Thanks 1

I’m a Madrid native. You’re in for a treat…There are plenty of travel guides that you can look at so I won’t bother you with lots of details.

if you’re staying at the Intercontinental you’ll be ideally located since it’s on Madrid’s main Paseo. The museums are down the street And if you’re into soccer, the Real Madrid stadium, currently undergoing a $700 million renovation is just up the street.

One of the best paellas I’ve ever had, and I’ve had plenty, was at the St. James restaurant which is about a15 minutes walk from the hotel. 

One more thing… the high speed trains in Spain are fantastic.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1