Did you feel safe in Quito?

Matmg778

I didn't feel unsafe at all.  Of course, we were with the celebrity group, so it was a bus full of people in a tourist area in broad daylight.  We weren't wandering the city ourselves at night or anything.

They have a "guard" with the group but I didn't think they were armed and noticed no weapon, but I didn't ask.  We were told, and from their actions it seemed accurate that they were mainly there to make sure the group all got across the streets safely during crossings.

We were warned in one area that pick-pockets were coming and to wear our backpacks on the front in that specific area, but other than that, no issues, and it never felt or seemed unsafe.

Our guide repeated multiple times that where we were was completely safe "in the day", so perhaps night is a different story.  He also pointed out a couple of blocks that we passed in the bus that he considered  "shady", but seemed more like selling stolen goods more so than dangerous crimes.

If you are with the group, I wouldn't worry at all. If you plan to do stuff on your own, I would check into where you are going and when.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 11:11 PM, eddieg07410 said:

On our 11 day trip we have one extra day to do Quito on our own. Is that advisable or  can someone recommend a guide to hire.

We toured the city on the extra day with Guanguiltagua run by Dennis Yepez (below).  It's about $200 for a full day just about anywhere and he is excellent.  Drivers are English speakers.  It's worth the safety and peace of mind having a local take you around.

Rick and Lynn

IMG_3233.JPG