Booking under maiden name, passport updated...

Wondering if anyone has had recent experience with the following:

we booked our upcoming trip well before I got married, so it lists my maiden name.  I went ahead and got my passport updated (what a pain changing your name is) so it now does not match my sailing.  Per our TA, because of the FCC used against our booking updating it could be a nightmare.  Since I still have a valid NJ drivers license in my maiden name, and my birth certificate she said I will be fine.  

I wonder, should I cover my bases and bring my old and new passport as well as my marriage certificate? I did our cruise check in this AM and noted that my travel docs would be NJ license and NJ birth certificate, but I just want to be sure I won't run into any issues.  This is my 40th bday celebration cruise and I don't want to risk anything happening, we are finally cleared to sail again and I am so excited!

Any help would be appreciated, TIA

11 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Make sure that all the supporting documents you are bringing are the originals and not photocopies.  The more documentation the better in this situation.  Happy sailing!

Side question.  Is this sailing from a US port?

Yes, in fact I just went and double checked that I have the original b cert and I do, so I will be brining 2 passports, 2 NJ licenses (the new one is a real ID) b cert and marriage cert - better not go over my luggage weight 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were in the same situation.  We called RC and they changed my wife's name on the reservation to reflect the name on her new passport.  Two days later she received an e-mail that stated we owed $236 on the cruise. (Months after final payment was due.) It seems they took away our FCC.  Frankly, it's worth $236 for us to know we won't have an issue but I think you may be handling it the most cost-effective way.

I've been busy this week and have not called back about the credit.

17 minutes ago, poocher said:

Worth $236 not to have to bring your marriage license?  

Absolutely!  The peace of mind knowing I won't have an issue is worth that to me.  I'm also confident that I will get it straightened out in the end.  Also, my wife has changed all of her documents.  She does not still have a driver's license with her maiden name.

I did not call thinking that they were going to take away the cruise credit. I called RC to make sure we weren't going to have an issue getting on the ship and taking the vacation that I paid for in 2019 that was rescheduled multiple times due to Covid.  That was my main priority.  This may not be a popular opinion but I believe RC has been extremely fair in the initial cancellations during the pandemic and my later re-bookings.  I received "extra" future cruise credits on multiple occasions all for the same cruise I originally booked almost 4 years ago.  I'm going on a 7 night cruise for the same money that I originally paid for a 4 night cruise (with the possible exception of $236).  I simply want my family to have a great time without stress.

I agree but all you had to do was bring your marriage license.  This is VERY common for women because their current name and their birth name are often different.  Men of course don’t have this issue but women do.  I’ve been married for 42 years and everything is in my married name EXCEPT my original birth certificate.  When I applied for both my enhanced DL and my passport, I had to provide the linking document.  There really was no need to call RC at all.  That was my point.

2 hours ago, KyleDefends said:

We were in the same situation.  We called RC and they changed my wife's name on the reservation to reflect the name on her new passport.  Two days later she received an e-mail that stated we owed $236 on the cruise. (Months after final payment was due.) It seems they took away our FCC.  Frankly, it's worth $236 for us to know we won't have an issue but I think you may be handling it the most cost-effective way.

I've been busy this week and have not called back about the credit.

I called royal and bc we are booked with TA they couldn't change but did warn that changing would effect all credits even though we are finished paying cruise off

When I did check in bc and dl is an option so I did that 

Def still bringing all other docs in case 

2 hours ago, Finnsmom13 said:

Yes, in fact I just went and double checked that I have the original b cert and I do, so I will be brining 2 passports, 2 NJ licenses (the new one is a real ID) b cert and marriage cert - better not go over my luggage weight 🙂

I'm guessing/hoping you are joking about putting all of these documents in your checked luggage.

2 minutes ago, Finnsmom13 said:

I called royal and bc we are booked with TA they couldn't change but did warn that changing would effect all credits even though we are finished paying cruise off

When I did check in bc and dl is an option so I did that 

Def still bringing all other docs in case 

Just bring the document showing the link between birth name and current name.  That is most likely the marriage license which lists BOTH names and clearly shows Mary Smith (BC) is now Mary Jones (DL or passport)

3 hours ago, Finnsmom13 said:

Wondering if anyone has had recent experience with the following:

we booked our upcoming trip well before I got married, so it lists my maiden name.  I went ahead and got my passport updated (what a pain changing your name is) so it now does not match my sailing.  Per our TA, because of the FCC used against our booking updating it could be a nightmare.  Since I still have a valid NJ drivers license in my maiden name, and my birth certificate she said I will be fine.  

I wonder, should I cover my bases and bring my old and new passport as well as my marriage certificate? I did our cruise check in this AM and noted that my travel docs would be NJ license and NJ birth certificate, but I just want to be sure I won't run into any issues.  This is my 40th bday celebration cruise and I don't want to risk anything happening, we are finally cleared to sail again and I am so excited!

Any help would be appreciated, TIA

You can just call Royal and ask them to change the name on your booking.  

When I printed our Set Sail Pass, my husband noted that the "Jr." at the end of his name was missing from our cruise reservation.  He knew this would be a problem because his driver's license and his passport both say "Jr."  I've seen those two little letters cause him trouble numerous times over the years.

I called, and it took all of five minutes to have "Jr." added to his reservation.  

2 hours ago, poocher said:

Unlike clothes, it’s better to have too much documentation than too little. 

Well said!  It can't hurt to bring ... well, everything. 

We're leaving day after tomorrow, and my little travel document pouch is nice and fat right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poocher said:

BTW, Social Security cards will also need to be changed when your name changes.  They will need to see…… wait for it…… marriage license!

True, but that can wait -- you don't need the SS card for sailing.  Priorities, you know. 

• Like 1

I know, just pointing out a BTW as many don’t think about that.  For sailing,  passport in married name = no further documentation.  BC & DL in different names = linking document.

In OP’s case where booking name does not match passport, BC & Marriage License.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1