The Macallan Flight Experience

Notalotofinfo

I did this on Equinox last month. I had OBC to burn...

It was an OK experience. The event was oversold, and had taken over half of Craft Social. There were four whiskies, all Macallan Travel Editions (the ones you can only get in Duty Free shops like the ones on the ship). The person doing the event was fine, but probably not horribly knowledgeable. The whisky was OK (I confess to much preferring Balvenie to Macallan, but don't have anything against Macallan). The tasting was fine, largely because the group at the table was good. Having done this version, unless I had a ton of OBC to burn, I personally wouldn't do it again. But your mileage may vary.

On 9/2/2022 at 10:41 PM, markeb said:

I did this on Equinox last month. I had OBC to burn...

It was an OK experience. The event was oversold, and had taken over half of Craft Social. There were four whiskies, all Macallan Travel Editions (the ones you can only get in Duty Free shops like the ones on the ship). The person doing the event was fine, but probably not horribly knowledgeable. The whisky was OK (I confess to much preferring Balvenie to Macallan, but don't have anything against Macallan). The tasting was fine, largely because the group at the table was good. Having done this version, unless I had a ton of OBC to burn, I personally wouldn't do it again. But your mileage may vary.

Was interested right up until you said it's only the duty free shop versions.  Nah.

we did the Johnny Walker tasting on Apex in July. Enjoyable.  Preprinted placemats with some whisky info on them.  The presenters were pretty good.  If this was an option I would do this instead

4 different types   Blue, Platinum, XR and King George.  The KG (at $500 bottle) was a treat that most wouldn't get on their own. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 12:00 PM, tfred said:

we did the Johnny Walker tasting on Apex in July. Enjoyable.  Preprinted placemats with some whisky info on them.  The presenters were pretty good.  If this was an option I would do this instead

4 different types   Blue, Platinum, XR and King George.  The KG (at $500 bottle) was a treat that most wouldn't get on their own. 

Have ever tried something like a Macallan 25?  I've bought a bottle or two but I have to make sure that my partner doesn't see the receipt.  I'm happy with JW Black if I can't get anything else.  I have not tried the higher quality JW varieties.  

I did this on Reflection a few years ago. There was a ten, twelve and fifteen year old to taste and I think it cost around $35.00. There were only three of us there the barman was rather generous with his samples and wasn’t averse to replenishing one’s glass. Judging by the prices they were charging in the bars for said beverages it was fantastic value.

• Like 1