Observations from the Poop Deck Seashore September

morpheusofthesea

On 9/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

All opinions are welcome.  'Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder'. It boils down to upbringing.

My opinion is welcome, but it shows I've been brought up wrong?  That's an interesting assumption to jump to.  I was really enjoying your review thread until the point where all sorts of vague and not so vague insults started getting thrown around.

I think several have already said it before, but a lot of this IS due to upbringing, culture, region, etc. The definition of “class,” “elegance,” or “dressing up,” changes depending on all of these things, especially with it being 2022.

Everyone saying long pants and a collared shirt are expected, but a LONG time ago, even that wasn’t considered elegant.

I live in Miami currently, and there are plenty of expensive, hip, “nice” places all over and opening up, and the way people dress up going to those places fits the part. This is extremely different from the way people “dress up” when I’m back in my home town visiting family in the US.

Just because it’s your idea of “dressing up” doesn’t mean it’s everyone’s. As someone mentioned, I am much less offended by a man in nice shorts and polo or button down than I am by someone in oversized, old beige pants with too many pleats at the bottom like my grandfather would wear. Plus, women’s acceptable dress can be much more offensive.

”Shorts” is a blanket term that shouldn’t be used. Of course no one wants to see athletic shorts or jean shorts with ratty t-shirts or tank tops (which I have seen in dining rooms before), but that is a completely different league than pressed chinos, a button down, and nice boat shoes that I feel most here are referring to.

Standards of what is nice have also changed…the Titanic was “elegant” at the time…now it would look outdated. We’ve all entered restaurants that are “nice” but haven’t been updated since their inception long ago. They look old and dusty. There’s a reason ships, homes, etc are being built like they are now…much more modern. I mean…compare the Seashore to the Titanic. X has some nice ships, and they’re considered a “classy” line, but I find they look outdated when compared to their newer ships. It’s a sign of the times, and dress also evolves with that.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

I think several have already said it before, but a lot of this IS due to upbringing, culture, region, etc. The definition of “class,” “elegance,” or “dressing up,” changes depending on all of these things, especially with it being 2022.

Everyone saying long pants and a collared shirt are expected, but a LONG time ago, even that wasn’t considered elegant.

I live in Miami currently, and there are plenty of expensive, hip, “nice” places all over and opening up, and the way people dress up going to those places fits the part. This is extremely different from the way people “dress up” when I’m back in my home town visiting family in the US.

Just because it’s your idea of “dressing up” doesn’t mean it’s everyone’s. As someone mentioned, I am much less offended by a man in nice shorts and polo or button down than I am by someone in oversized, old beige pants with too many pleats at the bottom like my grandfather would wear. Plus, women’s acceptable dress can be much more offensive.

”Shorts” is a blanket term that shouldn’t be used. Of course no one wants to see athletic shorts or jean shorts with ratty t-shirts or tank tops (which I have seen in dining rooms before), but that is a completely different league than pressed chinos, a button down, and nice boat shoes that I feel most here are referring to.

Standards of what is nice have also changed…the Titanic was “elegant” at the time…now it would look outdated. We’ve all entered restaurants that are “nice” but haven’t been updated since their inception long ago. They look old and dusty. There’s a reason ships, homes, etc are being built like they are now…much more modern. I mean…compare the Seashore to the Titanic. X has some nice ships, and they’re considered a “classy” line, but I find they look outdated when compared to their newer ships. It’s a sign of the times, and dress also evolves with that.

Brilliant post.

Posted September 10

On 9/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

My goodness your week FLEW by...just like ours!  Enjoyed your observations from the poop deck.  Safe travels.

We have discovered that the remedy to the end of cruise 'blues' is to have another cruise booked just weeks away, to look forward to, as one rolls down the gangway.

I was quite content to 'lay this thread to rest' with my post #131 above. "Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In! SCENE - The Godfather: Part 3 MOVIE (1990)"

We could really care less about someones attire. We have our own self respect and respect for the other fellow passengers to dress and behave in a manner expected in polite society. But should someone ask my opinion, I'll give it.

"We all judge. It is the most natural human tendency. Anybody who says they don’t judge are lying. We’re all judging all the time. Every opinion you have is a judgement in itself – whether good or bad. Judging is perceiving."  Ankush Bahuguna
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Posted September 10

On 9/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

My goodness your week FLEW by...just like ours!  Enjoyed your observations from the poop deck.  Safe travels.

We have discovered that the remedy to the end of cruise 'blues' is to have another cruise booked just weeks away, to look forward to, as one rolls down the gangway.

I was quite content to 'lay this thread to rest' with my post #131 above. "Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In! SCENE - The Godfather: Part 3 MOVIE (1990)"

We could really care less about someones attire. We have our own self respect and respect for the other fellow passengers to dress and behave in a manner expected in polite society. But should someone ask my opinion, I'll give it.

"We all judge. It is the most natural human tendency. Anybody who says they don’t judge are lying. We’re all judging all the time. Every opinion you have is a judgement in itself – whether good or bad. Judging is perceiving."  Ankush Bahuguna

You know what, you are 100% right, this thread was an absolute pleasure to read, I looked forward to seeing it every day.

I hold my hands up as being one of the people involved in drawing you back in and I honesty I wish I hadn't. I hope I haven't offended you in any way, I 100% agree, you were asked and you are entitled to your opinion.

I look forward to reading your future cruise threads and I really hope the negatives at the end of this thread haven't put you off sharing your wonderful experiences with us.

Sorry.

Edited by 77red96
  • Thanks 1