Lufthansa carryon luggage rules

Msgolferfhcc

Check the Lufthansa website. I think the weight limit is more like 17/18 pounds (you may have to do a conversion if they have it in kg.).

The times we have been on Lufthansa they checked our carry on for size and weight at least twice while walking down to board the plane. They don't fool around.

• Like 1

On our last Lufthansa flight, my checked bag was already on the belt heading away when they weighed my carry on and found it overweight.  The checkin agent walked the belt and dragged my checked bag back and sent me to remove ONE KG from my carry on and put in my checked bag.

Lufthansa are 8KG for carry on (within the right measurements) and 4KG for the personal item.

Other airlines (KLM / Air France) are 12 KG total for carryon and personal combined. 

We find Lufthansa very strict on this.  With Lufthansa be safe rather than sorry as I watched them force the checkin of other carry on's.

Edited by CDNPolar

How about carry on luggage when flying business/first class.  It says two carry on pieces plus one personal item per person.  It shows a picture of two hardside roll-aboards.  We will have one roll-aboard each, plus a large bag/purse for me and a backpack for my husband.  These second pieces we would generally call our personal items.  They are clearly too big for Lufthansa personal items.  But since we get two carry on items, can we count these two pieces each toward that and say we have no personal items?  This is such a hassle I’m thinking of changing flights from United/Lufthansa to Delta KLM for our flights to Greece next February. 

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

How about carry on luggage when flying business/first class.  It says two carry on pieces plus one personal item per person.  It shows a picture of two hardside roll-aboards.  We will have one roll-aboard each, plus a large bag/purse for me and a backpack for my husband.  These second pieces we would generally call our personal items.  They are clearly too big for Lufthansa personal items.  But since we get two carry on items, can we count these two pieces each toward that and say we have no personal items?  This is such a hassle I’m thinking of changing flights from United/Lufthansa to Delta KLM for our flights to Greece next February. 

On our business class flights on Lufthansa this summer, at LAX, they didn't weigh our carry-ons and didn't give us any hassle on the number of carry-ons.  I had my roller plus my camera bag and my partner had a roller and a couple of smaller bags.  On our flight from Istanbul to Frankfurt in business, I think they weighed my carry-on at checkin, but didn't require it to be checked even though it was a bit over the limit.  On our connections in Frankfurt in both directions, they didn't check.  The only flight where I was made to check my roller due to weigh was on a Turkish Air domestic economy flight from Capadoccia to Istanbul (they didn't check for the flight to Capadoccia).

• Thanks 1

You are ALWAYS subject to the rules of the operating carrier.  Whether or not they are strictly enforced is up to the agent at check-in and at the gate.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  Maybe there is heat from upstairs regarding enforcement, maybe there isn't.  But know that the rules are there all the time.

Do you feel lucky?

What's the problem.  Your roller bag is one carry on.  Your backpack or purse is the second one.  As long as you keep both below 8 kilos, you are fine.

Just because they both aren't roller bags doesn't mean they don't qualify.

You are over complicating things.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I wouldn’t worry, Santa Fe. I should think that business/first class passengers are not going to be hassled like those in coach might be. Way too many $$$ on the line for the airlines. The description of what the airline allows looks pretty straight forward to me and your items should be fine.

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I wouldn’t worry, Santa Fe. I should think that business/first class passengers are not going to be hassled like those in coach might be. Way too many $$$ on the line for the airlines. The description of what the airline allows looks pretty straight forward to me and your items should be fine.

How strictly the rules are enforced is based directly on the price of your ticket... seems more than fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1