Le Verdon sur la Mer Questions

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

OK, I've figured out, by searching previous questions, that there is little to do in this port, but that cruise lines offer excursions to Bordeaux from it.  This goes for certain Oceania itineraries, even though we will be docked only there for 3 hours and then sail down to Bordeaux.  We have a good amount of time in Bordeaux, so I'm thinking of perhaps just staying on the ship and enjoying myself rather than going to Bordeaux on that day (and meeting the ship there after an excursion).  I'm curious if anyone has done this.  I like the idea of a short river cruise, and think it might be fun to do it while on an ocean liner.  But I have no idea if this would be scenic or monotonous and boring.  Has anyone done this?  What did you think?  Or is there a way to see maybe a little part of it by taking a ferry somewhere along the river once in Bordeaux? I hear the city is pretty nice, and of course there are chateaus and wine estates/wineries and what not to see.  But I really like exploration, photography and scenery a lot, so I'm not sure what to do in this area, and I'm not a wine drinker, so the wine excursions don't interest me as much.   On the Le Verdon day, we are scheduled to stop there 8 - 11 and then at some point sail down to Bordeaux, getting there at 4.  We'll be overnight in Bordeaux and leave at 5 pm the next day. 

And does anyone know if there's a way to get closer to the beautiful Courduron {spelling?} Lighthouse near the mouth of the river?  Or might it be possible to see it when coming in, though I assume not closeup at all?  And if anyone had 3 hours in Verdon, was there a shuttle or other way to get to the town that is apparently fairly nice, about 15 minutes away?  Did you enjoy it?

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

• 2 weeks later...

First, Edinburgher thanks for the link.  It was interesting and probably useful if someone wants a tour to the vineyards from Le Verdon Sur la Mer. 

I'm still looking for information as follows, just in case someone can help me:

In Verdon, is it easy to get a taxi for a short trip up to see a somewhat famous lighthouse (Cordouan) that's not far from the port?  And do cruise ships typically offer a shuttle to Soulac or the beach area of Verdon -- or any other place?  We'll only be in Verdon for 3 hours but I'm trying to figure out what I can do in that time.  

You could perhaps ask about shuttle buses, taxis etc on the Oceania  forum  as some lines may offer shuttles buses and others not.

The Gironde is tidal.  I cannot remember if we needed a pilot onboard each time we sailed up or down river, but I am guessing you are there for only 3 hours either to be in good time for boarding a pilot or to wait until the tide  brings water levels to the correct level to enable sailing  towards Bordeaux.

Edited by edinburgher