Seashore Yacht Club Cabanas

Shippy

These are very different from the cabanas on some of the other MSC ships.

I realize these are free unlike the others where you pay.

On the other ships, cabanas are reserved for you automatically if you are in a YC3 cabin.

Does anyone know if this is true on the ships where they are free ?

I understand they get taken quite quickly since there is no charge.

thanks

7 minutes ago, Shippy said:

These are very different from the cabanas on some of the other MSC ships.

I realize these are free unlike the others where you pay.

On the other ships, cabanas are reserved for you automatically if you are in a YC3 cabin.

Does anyone know if this is true on the ships where they are free ?

I understand they get taken quite quickly since there is no charge.

thanks

When we sailed on Seashore this year, four of the cabanas are reserved for Royal and Owners Suites.  The others are first come, first served.  We sailed in March, so access was fairly open.  Honestly, though to assure we got the ones we wanted, a kind word and tip for the pool guards/attendants got our chosen cabana (we switched locations during the two weeks we were on, base on direction and expected winds).

10 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Bribery is paying someone to do something illegal. Those that don’t like to tip love to expand the definition to suit their position.

🤔 I can only assume my attempt at humour bypassed you on this occasion! 

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Actually it is a full bath/whirlpool on the balcony and we tip the butler $250 for one week and steward $200 just in case to keep it full.

Very kind of you to treat them well.  As you know, though, there are no stewards in YC servicing rooms.  There are only Butlers and Junior Butlers.  The juniors are rightfully proud of the title.

18 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Very kind of you to treat them well.  As you know, though, there are no stewards in YC servicing rooms.  There are only Butlers and Junior Butlers.  The juniors are rightfully proud of the title.

I learned 50 years ago the difference and value of a title vs a cash increase in pay.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
Call me

31 minutes ago, JAGR said:

An acquaintance once called me for my opinion on his taking a position with a rival firm for a title vice presidency. I told him it would be more to his benefit to negotiate a 'golden parachute' in the event his new company was bought out. He called and thanked me some years later as he had to walk away with only the money after a buy out, the title 'went out the window'.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I learned 50 years ago the difference and value of a title vs a cash increase in pay.

That may be true in your case, and most people's case.  The title of Junior Butler, however, does come with a higher pay than room steward in the general population.  To the holder of that title, it is their badge of honor.  I would say let them have both:  a title that means something to them and their co-workers, and additional monetary reward for outstanding service. 

I am originally from an academic background, and there title is important.  There are real differences between Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor, both in terms of compensation, tenure, and rights and privileges.  I think the nature of hierarchy is important on a ship as well.  Also, MSC is an Italian company.  Italian business culture respects the hierarchical structure – job titles and responsibilities are important, and your position in the company may determine how one can speak with or address superiors and subordinates.

• Like 1