Using promotional OBC (not FVC or other credits) to pre-book shore excursions?

VV2022

Disclaimer: I know the ultimate answer is to call Virgin, I've just gotten conflicting info on another source (and from Virgin). 

Has anyone been able to use promotional OBC to pre-book an excursion? 

A friend of mine (who is new to cruising) has $300 OBC (which appears on her sailing/account) because I booked our upcoming cruises onboard and got the promo loot. She is worried about a particular excursion selling out and wants to pre-book it, using OBC. I was told elsewhere that this was possible if you call Virgin directly, but when my friend called they told her it wouldn't be possible, that OBC could only be used once you're literally onboard. 

I myself don't normally do ship excursions, and rarely have any OBC when I've sailed other lines, so I have no clue how it works for Virgin or anyone else. 🙂 

Again, only posting here because people on another site told me they'd been able to do it. Just trying to decide between 'call and try another rep' or pay out of pocket. It's not the end of the world either way.

Thanks!

OBC doesn't actually land in your account until you board (even though it shows up on line and in the app).  You can use it for excursions booked after you board, but not in advance.  Those booked in advance need to be paid in advance.  At least that's how it used to work.  Virgin has made some changes over the year they've been sailing!