Tampa; How early is too early?

SharoJoe

We will be sailing on the Miracle on April 9. We like to arrive early and board "as soon as the doors open" (more drink of the day time LOL). I noticed on the Carnival website that they recommend not arriving until 1/2 hour before embarkation (1:30). Has anyone out there arrived earlier? :confused:

Thanks!

Joe and Sharon

We were on the Miracle in November 2005. We arrived at the pier around 11am and walked right up to the sign in counter. We waited 1 hour in a holding area and we were the 2nd group to enter the ship at around 12:15pm. Have fun, she is a beautiful ship!:)

I concur. Get there early and avoid some of the madness.

FYI - I am local to Tampa, and the traffic in that area gets a little interesting after 12:00 when it's a sailing day.

There is a coffee shop right at the corner (about 100 feet) from the porters where you can relax if you're real early and don't have a super ton of luggage.

We will be sailing on the Miracle on April 9. We like to arrive early and board "as soon as the doors open" (more drink of the day time LOL). I noticed on the Carnival website that they recommend not arriving until 1/2 hour before embarkation (1:30). Has anyone out there arrived earlier? :confused:

Thanks!

Joe and Sharon

Hey! We're on the same cruise. Why don't you come over and say hi on the roll call. Here's a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=275601

In January, we arrived about 10:30. As we were getting out of the cab, they opened the doors at the terminal and we walked right in. Up the escalator, through security and right up to the sign in desk. We had Skipper's Club and were taken ahead to a separate waiting room. We were on the ship right behind the wedding party and on deck shortly after 11:30. It was like we had the whole ship to ourselves. They tell you 1:30 because the cabins generally aren't ready till then. But we dropped off our carryon's and got out of their way with no problem.

Tampa really seems to have their act together. This was the first time we had gotten there that early and it was a breeze. Anytime around noon and after is going to be a cluster no matter how organized it is.

After arriving at the port where is the security check in? Right at the doors or a little further in. After you go through security is there a smoking lounge or something similiar, or is it like in the airports and your just stuck after you go through security.

We got to the port around 11:15 a.m. and quickly checked in. We may have stood in line for 5 minutes max. However we had to wait near the counter for a while until the wedding parties were addressed. I think we were the second group on board. Yet it was some time. I can't remember how long but I was glad we had some snacks and water in a carryon. We also had a deck of cards to entertain us while we waited.

No, this is not like at the airport. You go through security as you are boarding the ship. You'll check in at the counters and may asked to have a seat until your group is called. Once your group is called, you herd through the photo opportunity and then through security to board the vessel.

Embarkation and debarkation in Tampa was really smooth on our trip. I was quite impressed with the Port of Tampa. Prior to our trip last year a few cruises had to dock somewhere else and be bussed back to the main terminal.

I'd call the agency first. The one we used dropped us off at the pier. A return shuttle was complimentary as well, but I had already purchased return transfers through Carnival. I wish I had asked before and could have saved a bit of cash.

Be sure to tip the driver if your rental company provides complimentary shuttles to and from the port. The lady who shuttled us was wonderful. She gave us loads of information.

Archived