Giovanni Wine Bar and UDP

HSDerm348

Hello fellow cruisers! Another UDP question for recent travelers:

I went on the Odyssey of the Seas earlier this year and then the Wonder of the Seas before it went transatlantic.  I had the UDP on the Odyssey and enjoyed the new concept Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen and the neighboring Giovanni’s wine bar.  The wine bar had a la carte items and we were told we had (and we did use a couple different times) the $20 credit per person to apply to the a la carte menu.

We did not have the UDP on the Wonder but the head server/bartender at the Giovanni’s wine bar told us in advance of ordering (and he told others throughout the cruise when they came in) that it is a beverage venue and, like the original vintages (which has not so great tapas vs real food from Giovanni’s IMHO), they do not honor the UDP.  He even went on to talk about how he had opened/launched the new concept on the Odyssey before they moved him to the Wonder.  I never pushed it because, as I said, I didn’t have the UDP for this sailing.

I have a sailing coming up Jan 2022 on the Odyssey for 8 nights and am considering the UDP again but they don’t have a ton of restaurants for such a long cruise (I was only on 6 nights before) and I would be even more hesitant if the wine bar’s a la carte menu isn’t eligible anymore.  Anybody have recent experience using the UDP in Giovanni’s wine bar??

Thanks for any help you may have!

The Wine Bar on the Odyssey only serves Giovanni appetizers.  So they may credit you.  But UDP doesn't cover drinks.  Best to just do Giovanni's.  And save your UDP for the "Taste of Royal" lunch at Wonderland!  BTW we enjoyed the old Vintages tapas on the Oasis pre-Covid and are disappointed they did away with them.