What is ArriveCan?

barric

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

i'm just off a ten day canada/new england cruise on the joy.

it's absolutely true that you have to fill out the arrivecan app... even if you're not getting off the ship. based on my experience this week/last week, however, i'd say it's extremely unlikely that anyone will ever ask to see the QR code contained within the app, or to ask you to open the app or display a printout. we were not asked a single question in any canadian port and nobody even looked at identification except when returning to the ship.

that's not to say that they're not collecting all the information and cross referencing it behind the scenes. and so you might be flagged if you don't fill it out. you gotta fill it out. but don't be disappointed if nobody ever asks to see it once completed and submitted. you also have to fill out a canadian customs form once onboard the ship, prior to arrival at your first canadian port. that gets submitted to your room steward.

ArriveCAN links your ID and proof of vaccination. The ship provides a passenger manifest - including ID - to Canadian authorities and they know right away whether or not you have completed ArriveCAN. If there are any questions on ability to disembark in Canada, a ship-board interview will be held. All passengers are pre-cleared before reaching the first Canadian port. Thus no need to show ArriveCAN or ID when visiting a Canadian port. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ByThePond said:

ArriveCAN links your ID and proof of vaccination. The ship provides a passenger manifest - including ID - to Canadian authorities and they know right away whether or not you have completed ArriveCAN. If there are any questions on ability to disembark in Canada, a ship-board interview will be held. All passengers are pre-cleared before reaching the first Canadian port. Thus no need to show ArriveCAN or ID when visiting a Canadian port. 

your comments align perfectly with what i wrote above about the data being cross referenced behind the scenes and how one has to fill out all the information.

my main point was that the arrivecan site and app tell you to have the QR code ready to display when you get off the ship. some people fret about this because they don't have a cell phone or a printer. in my personal experience, and from talking to others, nobody has ever asked to see the arrivecan QR clearance code. so, it's a bit of unnecessary misdirection for the arrivecan folks to say that it's required.

filling out the data is required... displaying the QR code is - apparently - a once in a blue moon thing... at least for now. with an uptick in covid and more stringent entry standards, everybody may have to display it in the future.

17 hours ago, UKstages said:

it's absolutely true that you have to fill out the arrivecan app... even if you're not getting off the ship. based on my experience this week/last week, however, i'd say it's extremely unlikely that anyone will ever ask to see the QR code contained within the app, or to ask you to open the app or display a printout. we were not asked a single question in any canadian port and nobody even looked at identification except when returning to the ship.

that's not to say that they're not collecting all the information and cross referencing it behind the scenes. and so you might be flagged if you don't fill it out. you gotta fill it out. but don't be disappointed if nobody ever asks to see it once completed and submitted. you also have to fill out a canadian customs form once onboard the ship, prior to arrival at your first canadian port. that gets submitted to your room steward.

You proved to the ship that you had completed the application and met the vaccination/testing requirements when you boarded.  The ship has that information for the port authorities - no need for anyone else to ask to see that you have completed the application. The ship takes care of it.

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

your comments align perfectly with what i wrote above about the data being cross referenced behind the scenes and how one has to fill out all the information.

my main point was that the arrivecan site and app tell you to have the QR code ready to display when you get off the ship. some people fret about this because they don't have a cell phone or a printer. in my personal experience, and from talking to others, nobody has ever asked to see the arrivecan QR clearance code. so, it's a bit of unnecessary misdirection for the arrivecan folks to say that it's required.

filling out the data is required... displaying the QR code is - apparently - a once in a blue moon thing... at least for now. with an uptick in covid and more stringent entry standards, everybody may have to display it in the future.

I just got off the Joy. In the Freestyle Paper for each of the 4 Canadian ports, NCL advised passengers to take ashore the COVID vaccine card and ArriveCAN receipt to show upon demand. I didn't think the Canadian officials would need to see them. Anyway, I complied but it was unnecessary. Canadian officials were already satisfied with everything they had gotten in advanced. No one was molested for papers or QR when disembarking. From observation, passenger freely entered the terminals and went about their leisure activity.