In room alcohol: I’m confused

Ginlady

Hi all. I’m confused about Royal’s (Anthem) star class in room alcohol policy and approach.

My husband and I as doing our first star class, Royal Caribbean cruise (we are new to both) and traditionally like to enjoy some in-suite nibbles and drinks (usually wine or champagne) before heading out to dinner. Similarly, when and we return from exploring the ship we also like a night cap  (usually a port or a whiskey). My questions are:

1. Is the wine and/or champagne included in our drinks package? Meaning, can we ask our Genie to have a bottle (of something) made available to us of an afternoon? We are happy to bring the night cap back with us.

2. If we have to purchase a bottle of wine/champagne, do we get this at a discount or are prices exorbitant?
3. What are some of the common afternoon snacks that people generally ask for and can these be varied daily through discussion with our Genie (who I understand is called Alexa)? 
4. I don’t like the idea of too much structure and being locked into multiple dinner reservations (apart from a couple I’d like to try like the Chefs Table and Wonderland) or activities, preferring to ‘see what I feel like’ on the day, etc. Can we do this? Are our chances of getting a table relatively good? 

We are a few days out from our cruise and although I’ve received contact from my Genie, I’ve yet to write back as I’m not really sure what to ask for (apart from the wine). Is it acceptable to rock up on the day and ask to keep things fluid? 

Thanks in advance. 

We had done Star Class before and are again very soon.  While some things have change a bit over the years the “rules” are pretty much the same.  As for what you are requesting, just share what you like and how you like to have your day play out with the genie and they will make the magic happen.  (See what I did there?).  

Since this sailing is pretty close, just have a chat on with them when you meet and they will work with you.  There isn’t much that they can’t work out with short notice, but just remember some late or last minute request might be harder to fulfill.  On Ovation in 2019 our genie had a family emergency and was removed the afternoon before our sailing.  They flew another in last minute and we still did fine, just chatted each day to work out what we wanted to do, outside of what was already scheduled.

There are some specifics that they cannot get around, like whole bottle requests, in room, be it wine or spirits are a purchase item.  Yes, there are discounts but even then there might be a more cost effective way.  

Genies are notorious for snack deliveries, so a simple request for some pre-dinner snacks and maybe a glass of wine would be right up the alley.  Not sure if the Quantum class still has the afternoon drink cart post COVID, but they did come around the suites in the afternoon since the lounge is so far, not like the CK/lounge on the Oasis class.  (At least they did while we were on Ovation in 2019.)

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwkings said:

There are some specifics that they cannot get around, like whole bottle requests, in room, be it wine or spirits are a purchase item.  Yes, there are discounts but even then there might be a more cost effective way.  

That surprises me.  They can have a full meal prepared for you to order, bake you a custom cake shaped like your pet, they can serve you as many individual drinks as you can handle, but they can't bring a full bottle of tine to the room unless you pay extra for that?  It's inconceivable! 

Yes. It’s very strange approach - more so now that I’ve read different reports of people’s experience. Some say that their Genie wouldn’t bring a bottle, while others have said this rule was waived and bottled alcohol was provided (wine or champs only). I guess I’ll find out for myself soon. Seems a little ridiculous in light on your comments above. 

6 hours ago, wdwkings said:

...As for what you are requesting, just share what you like and how you like to have your day play out with the genie and they will make the magic happen.  (See what I did there?).  

No, I must have missed it. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, Ginlady said:

Yes. It’s very strange approach - more so now that I’ve read different reports of people’s experience. Some say that their Genie wouldn’t bring a bottle, while others have said this rule was waived and bottled alcohol was provided (wine or champs only). I guess I’ll find out for myself soon. Seems a little ridiculous in light on your comments above. 

There is an option for a welcome aboard bottle of wine or bubbly for the Star class guest.  Also certain C&A levels get a welcome bottle as a perk.  Here is the current list from the Allure-

image.thumb.png.baa6461c9e93d9bed765d2e54c7513bb.png 

It's fairly easy to get a whole bottle of wine (incl. champagne) for any stateroom.  You can order it ahead of time on the website through Royal Gifts, or just buy a bottle at any restaurant or bar.   To get liquor, there is a very limited selection of small bottles to purchase ahead of time in Royal Gifts.  Now, will the Genie be able to "override" this and bring you a bottle of your favorite spirit?  I think the answer is "maybe".  I know that suite guests can order bar service if they want to host a party.  This may require a bartender to serve, but I've been to a few of those.  Maybe it's possible for the genie to setup such a bar service an claim to be the bartender, and then just not hang around.  

• Like 1

First off, welcome to Royal and welcome to Star class. For some great information, head over to that site that rhymes with Base Book. Search for "Star Class Cruisers".

It is ridiculous, but they will not (usually) bring bottles to your room, unless you pay for them. There is a discount on wine (20 or 40%). They will deliver 6 saran wrapped glasses, but not the bottle and a half it took to pour them. You can have drinks delivered as much as you want. You may put in a standing order for the whole cruise, or change it day to day. The genie will need some lead time (1-2 hours) to get it done.

For snacks, if it's available on the ship, you can have it delivered. Really, think of anything you would like. Don't forget that you can also have breakfast, lunch and dinner delivered. Dine in your cabin, or have them set up your balcony table. Here are some pics from our last cruise...

20220615_180652.jpg

20220616_160649.jpg

20220614_091809.jpg

20220613_171821.jpg

20220612_171812.jpg

20220612_113106.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, Ginlady said:

What are some of the common afternoon snacks that people generally ask for and can these be varied daily through discussion with our Genie (who I understand is called Alexa)? 
4. I don’t like the idea of too much structure and being locked into multiple dinner reservations (apart from a couple I’d like to try like the Chefs Table and Wonderland) or activities, preferring to ‘see what I feel like’ on the day, etc. Can we do this? Are our chances of getting a table relatively good? 

You'll want to lock in Chef's table and the hibachi as soon as possible. The rest is flexible. The genie can most likely get you reservations for that night if you let her know in the morning. 

• Like 1