Steeming Mad and Feeling Ripped Off

redheadskier

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions on how to verify my flight arrangements that came in my Celebrity Ticket/Trip Package. None of the information that was contained therein worked with the airline websites and I had a heck of a time dealing with the airlines over the telephone!!! Now I wished I didn't know.........

FORTUNATELY, my husband and I are on the same flight - that is the best I can say

UNFORTUNATELY we each have middle seats not near each other. I tried using my elite status with USAIR to rectify the problem and had no success! :( Plus it took 4 phone calls and over 1-1/2 hours to even find out that we had seats (we didn't by the way........only by going over several people's heads was I even able to secure a seat - USAIR said it was because we did not book thru them and that this is a problem when Cruise Lines book)

We also don't get in to FLL until 2 pm - then we have to get the transfer to Miami where Zenith is sailing at 5 pm - with luck maybe get there at 4:30 - a whole day lost:(

These reservations were made in early January - there is no excuse for us not to be sitting together. :mad: I only booked through Celebrity as it was only slightly more money and I figured in the convenience (and the factor that the ship probably wouldn't sail without us if they handled it!!!!) WRONG MOVE!!!!! I won't even go into what my husband said/did when I told him (wrong move on my part but better than him having a fit at the airport!):eek:

If I could cancel and not lose money right now it would be worth it to me to spend the extra money to be able to book the flight myself right now - we leave in 3 days and it is Spring Break so that is probably not an option

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your sailing from Miami, why are you flying into FLL? :confused: You will find that the "cruise lines" will charge you top dollar for your flights, but then book you on the cheapest flight without considering the inconvience to the passenger. Tried it with RCL. Going to flight was fine to Miami, but my return flight to PGH didn't leave untill 7:45 PM, even though there were many afternoon flights leaving. We could have taken one of the earlier flights, but it would have cost us more money.

So sorry to hear about that. That is rough! Hopefully you won't have any delays and will make it to the ship on time.

Since there are so many people cruising out of both Miami & Ft. Lauderdale each weekend, the cruise lines can't get everyone on a flight into the port city. Those 2 airports are about 45 minutes apart, so many people wind up on a flight into FLL for a Miami cruise and vice-versa.

You also have to remember that the cruise lines are not purchasing low cost non-refundable tickets. That is a major reason why what they charge you for airfare is higher than what you can get on your own.

We always book our own flights. It's cheaper, we get to pick the flights we want and our seats too. It's also untrue that the ship will always wait for you if the flight is delayed. That depends upon the # of affected flights and # of passengers affected.

Just got off the phone with Continental (who Celebrity booked thru) - it was Continental that put us on US Air - I found what could have been a cheaper flight (it was through Expedia) and asked if they could switch us - we could sit together, the plane was 3/4 empty, and we would get there earlier - I thought the cost might outweigh the problem of our current flight

Well, to change Continental wanted $700 for the Monday flight (each) - I laughed :eek: and said no thanks - esp. since I knew what the fare was going for on Expedia

And the reason we are going into FLL is because it is actually much cheaper flying from RI to FLL - by almost $200 per person. That was a surprise to me - Cruise Brothers had suggested I look at the FLL fares before I told them to go ahead and book thru them and Celebrity. Because of the airfare I actually considered flying to California and departing from there - it was cheaper to fly to LA from RI than to FL!!!

Once I get a few margaritas into hubby on the ship Monday things will get better - I just am not a happy camper right now:(

I learned my lesson :o - it is not worth it even tho the price was virtually the same!!!

Just got off the phone with Continental (who Celebrity booked thru) - it was Continental that put us on US Air - I found what could have been a cheaper flight (it was through Expedia) and asked if they could switch us - we could sit together, the plane was 3/4 empty, and we would get there earlier - I thought the cost might outweigh the problem of our current flight

Well, to change Continental wanted $700 for the Monday flight (each) - I laughed :eek: and said no thanks - esp. since I knew what the fare was going for on Expedia

And the reason we are going into FLL is because it is actually much cheaper flying from RI to FLL - by almost $200 per person. That was a surprise to me - Cruise Brothers had suggested I look at the FLL fares before I told them to go ahead and book thru them and Celebrity. Because of the airfare I actually considered flying to California and departing from there - it was cheaper to fly to LA from RI than to FL!!!

Once I get a few margaritas into hubby on the ship Monday things will get better - I just am not a happy camper right now:(

I learned my lesson :o - it is not worth it even tho the price was virtually the same!!!

Not that this helps you now but, you probably would have been better off driving to Logan then flying to Miami. My sister normally goes RI to Orlando to visit me using Southwest. But, for our cruise out of Miami she had to go out of Logan(she hates Logan) because the flights out of RI were so much more money(southwest does not fly to Miami). It seems most of the people that are not happy with their cruise air are coming from smaller areas(not large airports). As far as sitting together on the plane I would think someone would be willing to switch on the plane with you. I told my TA "well if Hubby and I aren't sitting together God help the person sitting next to me for 9 hours! because I am a talker" ( my TA said I'd be sitting next to hubby pretty quick lol) I hope you have a great cruise and everything works out for you! Maybe have a margarita on the flight;)

Well, you can hope to change seats at the airport and if that still doesn't work, maybe some nice passengers will be willing to help you out on the plane. Since yu've already done all the fighting you can about it with the airlines, try to start relaxing and just go with the flow....it might make the whole day easier. Hopefully this will be the worst part of your vacation!

We have traveled quite often with our daughter when I made our travel arrangements and hers was done by her dance coach and so we usually weren't seated together. But, we have never had a problem because almost always the other passengers are happy to make a switch.

People are so nice, especially if you are standing up in your seat before the plane leaves and hollering back and forth really loud and ask if the guy next to your daughter looks like a pervert.... well, maybe that's a bit extreme....;)

When we have had Celebrity book our air, it was our TA's responsibility to make seat arrangements. It has never been a problem (3 different cruises). We are to go to Europe in June and our seats assaignments are already made. If one doesn't use a TA and only uses Celebrity, I'm not sure who makes the seating arrangements. We have also done our own air when I could get cheaper flights.

I am sorry you have had such a bad experience. Hope you have a great cruise.

People are so nice, especially if you are standing up in your seat before the plane leaves and hollering back and forth really loud and ask if the guy next to your daughter looks like a pervert.... well, maybe that's a bit extreme....;)

Had to laugh - thanks for all the pep talks - I really appreciated it!!! packing today, ready to take the doggies to the kennel (ooops - puppy play camp) and getting in the mood (hard to pack summer things with all this snow outside and windchill is about 10 - but then it just puts us in the mood to GET AWAY!!!):p

I did compare Boston - we fly out of there quite often actually to get a better connection or cheaper flight when traveling to Tallahassee or Pensacola to visit family - but it was only about a $25 difference - not worth the effort of the extra time it takes to get there, park (we have done the bus from RI but returning is another issue). I also used to work for Delta out of Boston so I know the drill fairly well.......

It will all be fine! Hoping against hope when we get to the airport Monday to be a little early and jump on an earlier USAir plane that will put us in FLL about 2 hours earlier - and we can sit together from DC to FLL! On the phone US Air wanted $100 (pp) to make a reservation change plus $58 pp ticket difference - I would gladly pay the $58 but if a plane is pulling out in front of me empty they can eat the additional $100 to make the change!

This is not limited to Celebrity; the same thing happened when we did our first cruise with RCI 11 years ago. Being newbies, we figured we'd book our air through the cruiseline. We didn't get seats together (no big deal, somebody switched with us when we boarded the plane). We booked our air through the cruiseline because the TA assured us if our flight was delayed, they would definitely hold the ship for us...WRONG! They might be more willing to wait a bit if you booked air through them, but within reason. Luckily we made the ship.

Hope you've learned your lesson. Book your own air, choose your own flights, pick your seats, and arrive at least one day before the cruise (we go two days early during winter). Have a great cruise and relax! You're on vacation.

I think it's a good plan to get to the airport early to see if they can get you on the earlier flight. If you can't get on the earlier flight, you'll be there early for the flight you are scheduled and more likely to be able to get seats together. It's my understanding that the airlines don't assign the emergency exit row seats until day of flight at the airport, there may be seats together available if you get there early.

DH and I have had seperate seats assigned on airplanes before and have always been successful in being able to sit together. It's really easy if one of you has an aisle or a window to ask someone to switch for a like or better seat.

The last time we had seperate seats though, we were on a flight from Minneapolis to Anchorage and each had assigned middle seats. We tried, unsuccesfully, to get the seats changed at the airport. We had resigned ourselves to sitting in our assigned seats... :( I wasn't comfortable asking anyone to give up their window or aisle for a middle. DH was talking to someone sitting next to him... she said "boy, we have a full flight" he said "yeah, my wife and I weren't even able to get seats together" she asked where I was and then offered to trade her window for my middle... :) It was really very nice of her and very appreciated. DH and I decided it was one of those "good karma" things as we had offered to trade seats with a family who was split up the flight before. ;)

I hope you'll have the same good luck with your flight. :)

An agent can' t pick seats until the flight schedule is known. And during the winter vacation time up here in New England it gets really insane. I didn't get some air schedules until 3 weeks prior to departure.. .. and even then, some flights were changed and neither the agencies or clients were notified!

But keep in mind the airline holds back 30% of the seat selection for use at the airport. So check in early.

As far as the cruiselines are concerned, FLL and MIA are interchangeable.

The airlift from PVD to MIA is dreadful. And for $25 the poster is right.. it isnt worth it to go to Logan. The express bus from PVD to Logan is $36.00 per person rt.. and the return bus schedule from Logan stinks.

I'm sorry you're upset about this, but look at it this way. Since you booked your air through the cruiseline, its going to be THEIR problem if your flight is delayed. And, realistically, is it that bad to sit apart for what, 2 hours?

Beth

Pudge, while it is true that it will be Celebrity's problem since they booked their air with them, they won't always hold the ship if they are delayed. The problem is that the passenger faces the possibility (if they do miss the ship) with having to meet up at the first port of call, which can be days later. I sure would hate to miss a few days of my cruise.

Pudge, while it is true that it will be Celebrity's problem since they booked their air with them, they won't always hold the ship if they are delayed. The problem is that the passenger faces the possibility (if they do miss the ship) with having to meet up at the first port of call, which can be days later. I sure would hate to miss a few days of my cruise.

And the cruise air departments aren't overly helpful getting you to the ship, if you miss (for whatever reason) the originally scheduled flights. Please read some experiences in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=304223

• 2 weeks later...
We have traveled quite often with our daughter when I made our travel arrangements and hers was done by her dance coach and so we usually weren't seated together. But, we have never had a problem because almost always the other passengers are happy to make a switch.

Made me laugh!

Archived