COVID refund

jennyct

I came down with COVID after landing in Europe for my Mediterranean Cruise. They require an official test, which could land you in quarantine for weeks depending where you are, even if not contagious re US standards. 

Anyway, they say it takes up to two billing cycles to refund your cruise. I've read online that some people wait a year. Anyone else have experience with this? 

So far, it has been nearly two months for me. They say to expect 60 days which is not coincidentally the limit on how far back most credit cards will allow chargeback. 

interestingly, when I called to cancel after testing positive, the agent said “They say 60 days but it usually takes just a week or so.”

Merchants frequently imply that the credit card processors are responsible for the delay, as “billing cycles” implies, but that’s nonsense. A credit would show as pending instantly after the merchant put the transaction through. But MSC mails refunds in the form of a check, regardless of payment method, don’t they?

Edited by publicpersona

On 9/15/2022 at 6:50 PM, publicpersona said:

But MSC mails refunds in the form of a check, regardless of payment method, don’t they?

No, we cancelled our Jan 2022 cruise less than 2 weeks before sail date because of Omicron and we received our refund via a credit to the card we used to pay for the cruise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the last check for the June/July cruises that my mom had to cancel due to Covid. First check arrived last week sept 21 and the check for the following cruise arrived exactly a week later yesterday.

Now to deposit both checks and hope that they are not marked return to maker.