Embarking Times

Stan71

First time cruisers here. We're looking to book some excursions from local providers on our cruise. It'd be really useful to know how close to the advertised sailing time each day can we get back to the boat?

We're not looking to cut it really fine, but it'd be useful to know when trying to arrange off boat activities.

We're sailing on Marella Explorer

TIA

When the ship is berthed, "latest boarding time" is normally 30 minutes.

For the comparatively few ports where the ship moors off-shore and passengers are ferried ashore by tender, "latest tender time" is normally 60 minutes before sailing. Note - that's when you must be at the tender pier, not when you have to be aboard the ship. If there's a queue for the tenders they'll keep operating after "last tender time" to mop up the queue

JB 🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Bull said:

When the ship is berthed, "latest boarding time" is normally 30 minutes.

For the comparatively few ports where the ship moors off-shore and passengers are ferried ashore by tender, "latest tender time" is normally 60 minutes before sailing. Note - that's when you must be at the tender pier, not when you have to be aboard the ship. If there's a queue for the tenders they'll keep operating after "last tender time" to mop up the queue

JB 🙂

Very helpful. Thank you.

Hi Stan

First time cruisers fantastic. Just be very careful as the ship will sail without you, we have seen it many times, and you have to pay for the transport to the next POC, normally local shore excursions are very good and return you in good time, problems are normally on long journeys such as trips to Rome when road or rail problems are normal. We, in sixty plus cruises with Tui, have never been left behind although we were close once when a storm closed all roads back to the ship. 

Have a great cruise 😎 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi Stan

First time cruisers fantastic. Just be very careful as the ship will sail without you, we have seen it many times, and you have to pay for the transport to the next POC, normally local shore excursions are very good and return you in good time, problems are normally on long journeys such as trips to Rome when road or rail problems are normal. We, in sixty plus cruises with Tui, have never been left behind although we were close once when a storm closed all roads back to the ship. 

Have a great cruise 😎 

That's all fantastic advice - many thanks 👍

Ports berth times vary, but even with 10 hours at berth, as Pensioner says, be careful. We have seen people running along the pier, to the amusement of other passengers, and luckily, on a couple of occasions, the captain has waited a short while.

I find it useful to check which other ships are also in port that day using website - whatsinport. Busy days can add to time getting through the cruise terminal - apologies if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!

Marella bus transfer to Rome gives you approx 6h in Rome, I wouldn't consider the train. However, in Naples, we used the train for Herculanium without issue by doing a bit of research before we went.

Have a great cruise.

Stan it may be prudent, as its your first cruise, to go with the ship's excursions you would never be left behind. Also take a note of this ships phone number, its in the leaflet in your cabin. Finally if you are late the captain will sound the horn three times informing all left ashore that he is going😕

On 9/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, howmuch! said:

Ports berth times vary, but even with 10 hours at berth, as Pensioner says, be careful. We have seen people running along the pier, to the amusement of other passengers, and luckily, on a couple of occasions, the captain has waited a short while.

I find it useful to check which other ships are also in port that day using website - whatsinport. Busy days can add to time getting through the cruise terminal - apologies if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!

Marella bus transfer to Rome gives you approx 6h in Rome, I wouldn't consider the train. However, in Naples, we used the train for Herculanium without issue by doing a bit of research before we went.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you for this. Some useful advice and whatsinport is definitely going to come in handy. 

On 9/18/2022 at 9:04 PM, Pensioncruiser said:

Stan it may be prudent, as its your first cruise, to go with the ship's excursions you would never be left behind. Also take a note of this ships phone number, its in the leaflet in your cabin. Finally if you are late the captain will sound the horn three times informing all left ashore that he is going😕

Yes, I think we can to that conclusion now I think. Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Stan71