Chill Island Beach Beds: Changes Coming?

Mickey Chick

We're sailing in April and I have been watching availability for the Beach beds on Coco Cay. Up until a few days ago, all three locations were listed at $199 each. I've never seen them use dynamic pricing for them - even when they're close to selling out. 

Over the weekend, however, I noticed that the beds in the Chill Island area went up to $299 for our cruise in April (all locations were sold out already, but only the price for this one rose). Then I checked excursions for a sailing I have scheduled in November, and the price was also shown at $299  for Chill Island - but all three locations still had availability.

So, I'm wondering if maybe they're doing something  - or planning on doing something - over there to make that location more desirable? Based on some of the reviews I've seen here and elsewhere, I can't imagine what could make the beds in that area worth 50% more.

Anyone have any ideas or insights?

They may just be testing to see if the beach beds will still sell out at $299 each as opposed to $199 each. Perhaps because Chill Island is the most popular of the three beach bed areas and/or generally the first to sell out, they want to see if they can rent those beds for more. Of course, if that’s the case, and if people do rent them at the increased price, RCI doesn’t have to make any changes to the beds/beach themselves to justify an increase. It’ll just be the new normal price. Thirty beds renting for an additional $100 every time a ship is at CocoCay could amount to $tensofthousands in increased revenue per month without changing a thing. If Cabanas rent for $1k+ and frequently sell out or come close to selling out, there’s a decent chance the beds will still sell out even priced higher than $200.

Edited by alaska2023