Mariner Status and Age

Charlene1985

10 hours ago, leerathje said:

lol....We started cruising quite late!

First cruise, January 2019, 9 day Caribbean aboard the Koningsdam, 52 years old

We were even later! It took me a LONG time to get DH back on a cruise after RCI in 1993 and Princess in 2008. First HAL cruise February 2019 on Koningsdam at 76 and 78. Due to COVID pause, next one was in November 2021. Achieved 2* in February. Will make 3* this November. Have 3 others booked - January 2023, November 2023, March 2024.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 39 (I usually get asked if I'm crew when I check in 😆). I got both 2 Star and 3 Star this year.

Prior to this year, I've only been on one cruise, a 7 Day Alaskan for our honeymoon.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 4:11 PM, Charlene1985 said:

I'm just curious how old you were when you hit your 2 star 3 star, 4 star, and 5 star milestones?  At 37, I'm usually one of the youngest on the HAL cruises, my husband is 51.  My two star Mariner status slightly embarrasses me when I present my card.  I absolutely love HAL and cruising (this will be our 4th cruise, 3rd on Holland America since 2018) but my husband jokingly says I'll probably be 5 starts by the time I turn 50.  We've decided that cruising is a much more enjoyable way to travel and we are planning an Alaskan cruise as well as researching an Australia and New Zealand cruise for 2023 and 2024.  We both work for the airlines and I fly to various European cities 5X a month so I get my "city" vacations and sight-seeing done while at work, but we are still interested in doing a Mediterranean cruise at some point as well.  He's cruised Royal Carribean and we have both taken a Carnival cruise before (we took an AmaWaterways cruise in 2019) and after reading many reviews and watching hours of YouTube ship tour videos, we can confidently say we have zero desire to try any other cruise line (other than Ama for a Danube cruise).  

At 54, I've just become a three star.  My daughter has you beat though.  At 15, she's also a three star.  But, we had really good HAL deals when she was young because my sister was a nurse for HAL.  And, even though HAL is not what first comes to mind for kids, HAL has a decent kids club and for teenagers you really just need to help them meet.