Advice on timing of flights out of New York

clubmember

Hello;  

First time NCL cruiser as well as first time sailing into NYC.  My TA cruise will arrive at 10 am a few days prior to Christmas.  Disembarkation is estimated to start a couple of hours after docking.  

I have a choice of flights from 4 - 8 pm back to Canada.  Would appreciate any experience and advice as to timing of flights and timing of transfers.

Thank you in advance!

I've disembarked in NYC before and it was quick and easy to get off and get a cab to the airport.  However, this month we got off the ship on a Monday and could not find a cab.  Felt like half the ship was standing on the sidewalk waiting for a cab to stop.  I ended up dragging my luggage several blocks and luckily finding a cab that got us to the airport just in time for our 11:50 flight.  We disembarked at 8:25am.

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

I've disembarked in NYC before and it was quick and easy to get off and get a cab to the airport.  However, this month we got off the ship on a Monday and could not find a cab.  Felt like half the ship was standing on the sidewalk waiting for a cab to stop.  I ended up dragging my luggage several blocks and luckily finding a cab that got us to the airport just in time for our 11:50 flight.  We disembarked at 8:25am.

So, I think that part of the OP's main question is how long to allow for incoming immigration process for a non-US citizen on a transatlantic (i.e., not a closed-loop US cruise). 

I am wondering this also.  We are US citizens but flying back from Italy.  Flying into JFK, Originally had nearly 4 hours between connections but with adjustments made in our flight - we now have just shy of 3 hours.  Will this be enough time to get our luggage and go through customs and still make our next flight?

On 9/24/2022 at 5:15 PM, krittykat said:

I am wondering this also.  We are US citizens but flying back from Italy.  Flying into JFK, Originally had nearly 4 hours between connections but with adjustments made in our flight - we now have just shy of 3 hours.  Will this be enough time to get our luggage and go through customs and still make our next flight?

Are you able to chose another longer connection?  Depending on time of day you land, whether you have global entry, TSA precheck etc and how long luggage takes, 3 hrs would normally be OK.  I don't choose flights through JFK that have a connection less than 2 hr 45 min.  My worry every year with New York airports and especially this year, been with air traffic control holding flights from landing or leaving due to congestion.  

48 minutes ago, clubmember said:

Are you able to chose another longer connection?  Depending on time of day you land, whether you have global entry, TSA precheck etc and how long luggage takes, 3 hrs would normally be OK.  I don't choose flights through JFK that have a connection less than 2 hr 45 min.  My worry every year with New York airports and especially this year, been with air traffic control holding flights from landing or leaving due to congestion.  

unfortunately, we are flying in 2 weeks.  We chose this flight since it was over a 4 hour layover.  Delta changed their schedule to a layover of 2 hours and 50 minutes now.  Changing the flight at this point of time with incur a penalty for the three of us.  I guess, we will just have to hope for the best and be prepared to possibly miss the flight. 

4 hours ago, krittykat said:

unfortunately, we are flying in 2 weeks.  We chose this flight since it was over a 4 hour layover.  Delta changed their schedule to a layover of 2 hours and 50 minutes now.  Changing the flight at this point of time with incur a penalty for the three of us.  I guess, we will just have to hope for the best and be prepared to possibly miss the flight. 

You did the right thing choosing the longer layover.  Wouldn't hurt to give Delta a call and see what they can do without penalty -- Have the flight you'd like to be moved to handy should you decide to call.  Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise! 

On 9/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, clubmember said:

You did the right thing choosing the longer layover.  Wouldn't hurt to give Delta a call and see what they can do without penalty -- Have the flight you'd like to be moved to handy should you decide to call.  Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise! 

I looked at options and flights are pretty booked.  There might be one that would work, but going through Atlanta. Much longer layover but that would be nice.   However, when I bought my tickets, they were less than half of what they are being sold for now.  Who knows what would happen if I tried to switch now.