FAS Specialty Dining

ErLee

We are cruising with NCL in January. Haven't been on an NCL ship in years. Can someone explain to me the FAS Specialty Dining credits? I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I don't really understand what it includes. If we choose a fixed rate restaurant, I get that we could apply one of our specialty dining credits to cover that cost. But what does it cover if we pick an a la carte restaurant? I'm sorry if this has been explained a hundred times, but the search feature on these boards is making me crazy! 🤪

Also if anyone would like to share an opinion on which specialty dining restaurants are the best on Epic, I'm open to suggestions! Brazilian steakhouse, Cagney's, Teppanyaki, French, Italian? 

Edited by ErLee

5 hours ago, ErLee said:

Also if anyone would like to share an opinion on which specialty dining restaurants are the best on Epic, I'm open to suggestions! Brazilian steakhouse, Cagney's, Teppanyaki, French, Italian? 

They are all pretty good, I'd go with the type of food you like.  Cagneys tends to be good if you like Steak, Le Bistro good if you like French.

Personally, I found the Brazilian place below the quality of the land based chains like like Fogo de Chão and Texas de Brazil so we won't go to that again. That being said, if you are unfamiliar with those restaurants, consider giving it a try.  Teppanyaki is typical Japanese steak place where they cook in front of you and its more about the show than the food (though the food isn't bad).  Worth doing once, especially if kids are involved, but, we won't do that again either.

Also, be aware that prime time reservations go fast.  You can make reservations on line at 120 days prior to embarkation but they only release a limited amount at that time.  I actually set my alarm for 12:00AM (ET) to get online and make my reservations.  If you can't get them online before boarding, you need to do it first thing when you get on board the ship or you might not get the restaurant/times you want. 

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:31 AM, ErLee said:

We are cruising with NCL in January. Haven't been on an NCL ship in years. Can someone explain to me the FAS Specialty Dining credits? I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I don't really understand what it includes. If we choose a fixed rate restaurant, I get that we could apply one of our specialty dining credits to cover that cost. But what does it cover if we pick an a la carte restaurant? I'm sorry if this has been explained a hundred times, but the search feature on these boards is making me crazy! 🤪

Thank you for asking this question and thank you to those who answered, since I'm new to NCL and the answers are so helpful. 🙂

Another question.

Would it be a better value to use our specialty dining credit at an a la carte restaurant?  It seems the 4 items (or more if I get  second dessert) from there may add up to more than the $49 flat rate of Moderno or Teppanyaki. 

On 9/25/2022 at 5:40 AM, PATRLR said:

Personally, I found the Brazilian place below the quality of the land based chains like like Fogo de Chão and Texas de Brazil so we won't go to that again. 

I think most NCL restaurants are similar.  I enjoy Cagney's but it isn't Morton's, for instance.  I've also enjoyed certain things in Moderno more than others (ironically, the grilled pineapple is A MAZ ING.)

10 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

Would it be a better value to use our specialty dining credit at an a la carte restaurant?  It seems the 4 items (or more if I get  second dessert) from there may add up to more than the $49 flat rate of Moderno or Teppanyaki. 

Yes.  It's pretty difficult to spend less than $49 for a full meal in an ala carte restaurant.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1