During hurricane season....?

Summer is peak season because of increased demand and reduced supply. Cruise lines send a lot of their ships to Alaska and Europe. That leaves a smaller supply of ships in the Caribbean. That also means there isn't a big selection of Caribbean itineraries in the summer.

I see you're in Indiana which means you probably need to fly. I can relate. We live in Illinois and always cruise during summer peak season when our kids are out of school.

As a general guideline, the more flexible you can be and the longer you can wait to book can mean better deals. However, you need a cabin that will hold 5 or two cabins (3 & 2). You can't wait too long if you need a cabin for more than 2 people because there are fewer of them available. Also, you might wait long enough to get a good cruise price, but have to pay more for air. And if you do want 2 cabins, you probably can't wait too long to book if you want them near each other. If you want a cabin for 5, you really shouldn't wait too long because not all ships will accomodate 5.

I recommend biting the bullet and booking very soon if you really want to go on a cruise this summer.

Book your cabin(s) ASAP. If the price goes down before the final payment is due, you can request the reduced rate. If the price goes up, you get to keep the lower rate. For this reason, it is always better to book ASAP.

Do most of your customers get the green travel insurance or should I check into the yellow or red?

All of my clients/friends/family have gotten the "green" coverage. It's the least expensive and the coverage is great for cruises.

Last year's weather set records, but according to the experts, the amount of activity is normal...prior to that was the off-normal period. This normal period can run up to 20-40 years. The season peaks in Sept, but Aug and Oct can be bad also.

We have lived in Miami ten years and had not been affected even by a tropical storm for 8 years. In 2004 we were stranded in New Orleans after a Mississippi cruise because the Miami airport was closed due to a hurricane. Dec, '05 we were affected by the last hurricane of the season (didn't dissipate until Jan) which caused such unseasonable weather in the Caribbean that we missed St Kitts and almost missed St Lucia. And, during the season we were hit by Katrina and Wilma and brushed by Rita.

Frommer issued a report recently that cruise sales are soft in Aug & Sep due to hurricane season...I found a 7-night Carnival cruise for $429 versus $729 when I wanted to go earlier in the year. Hurricane season will be a challenge to cruising for a long time. Buy insurance; don't set your heart on a specific destination and be aware that your cruise may be longer, shorter, or not at all if the airport closes before you get to the port.

Last year's weather set records, but according to the experts, the amount of activity is normal...prior to that was the off-normal period. This normal period can run up to 20-40 years. The season peaks in Sept, but Aug and Oct can be bad also.

We have lived in Miami ten years and had not been affected even by a tropical storm for 8 years. In 2004 we were stranded in New Orleans after a Mississippi cruise because the Miami airport was closed due to a hurricane. Dec, '05 we were affected by the last hurricane of the season (didn't dissipate until Jan) which caused such unseasonable weather in the Caribbean that we missed St Kitts and almost missed St Lucia. And, during the season we were hit by Katrina and Wilma and brushed by Rita.

Frommer issued a report recently that cruise sales are soft in Aug & Sep due to hurricane season...I found a 7-night Carnival cruise for $429 versus $729 when I wanted to go earlier in the year. Hurricane season will be a challenge to cruising for a long time. Buy insurance; don't set your heart on a specific destination and be aware that your cruise may be longer, shorter, or not at all if the airport closes before you get to the port.

I don't buy into the "40 year cycle of doom" theory. Apparently, my homeowners insurace company does, though. Just because the Bucs had to wait 26 years to win the Super Bowl doesn't mean it's gonna be another 26 years before they win the next one. At least I hope not. I think we've just had a coupla bad years. One thing to consider though. Early season storms tend to form in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean basin and late season storms tend to form in the Atlantic. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but generally an eastern itinerary would be more likely to reach ports in June and July and a western itinerary would be better in October and November. Not a problem for us cuz we always sail in April. Good weather, good prices, no kids, and no hurricanes. Sign me up!!

June/July are peak cruising months.

August/ September are peak hurricane months.

Hurricane "season" runs from June 1st, thru Nov. 30th [6/12]

Last year there was a hurricane in May and one in December. So you just never know. Travel insurance is a must with kids anyway.

Dan

I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Tampa our weather forecasters can't get it right a week ahead most of the time. Now, here you are asking what the weather might be like in July or August....see where I'm going with this?

There is a risk. Last year was a freak year for hurricanes, hopefully not to be repeated in a very long time. They aren't scheduled....they happen.

If you want to go...book it. But, book cruise insurance that covers you if you are unable to get to the ship, because in 99% of the cruises, the ship will go, with or without you.

BTW, late August, early Sept. is the peak time, I believe.

Mark T

I am from Tampa as well - and you got it right - they can't get any of the hurricane forecast right. And I think you are correct - those hurricanes are most likely to happen in late August and September.

The ship will go somewhere.... they can't dock a ship in a hurricane so it has to bob out there somewhere. They will run the cruise in most cases - just not where you may want to go!

Just to add a bit to what I posted earlier, we've cruised in September, and my biggest concern was not for the cruise, but what might happen to my home in Florida if a hurricane popped up while we were gone for a week. There is a lot of prep that needs to be done even if the hurricane does not give you a direct hit.

I use insuremytrip dot com and have a couple of preferred lines that they carry for insurance. I like their site because you are able to preview much of the fine print for any of the policies before you buy, and you can call a real person to discuss it if you have questions.

Insurance is a must. We didn't carry it when we were young and carefree. I started when my dad was diagnosed with cancer and we had a cruise booked and I wanted that option of cancelling if he took a serious turn for the worse. Same is true for hurricanes. I want that option of cancelling 2 days out if I feel my home may be in danger.

For those that fly in, remember that planes stop flying sometimes 12-18 hours before the forecast hit of the hurricane comes. And, even if you can get a flight in, you are entering a madhouse arena.

For those that drive, have they ever gotten all the cars out of the parking garage in NOLA? Take a look at where you park in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Figure a 20' storm surge. Make sure your insurance is up-to-date.

But, the weather can also be perfect in Sept., and most often is. I hope that the professional guessers are wrong and we have a quiet season this year, but only time will tell.

Mark T

I don't buy into the "40 year cycle of doom" theory. Apparently, my homeowners insurace company does, though. Just because the Bucs had to wait 26 years to win the Super Bowl doesn't mean it's gonna be another 26 years before they win the next one. At least I hope not. I think we've just had a coupla bad years. One thing to consider though. Early season storms tend to form in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean basin and late season storms tend to form in the Atlantic. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but generally an eastern itinerary would be more likely to reach ports in June and July and a western itinerary would be better in October and November. Not a problem for us cuz we always sail in April. Good weather, good prices, no kids, and no hurricanes. Sign me up!!

No you figured this all wrong....if the Bucs went through a 26 year drought, shouldn't they now win the next 26 Super Bowls, according the the insurance theory? :) :)

I wish.

Mark T

Speaking of hurrican season.....:p

DH and I booked our Miracle cruise last year in August as the prices had dropped considerably compared to a July booking. We knew it was hurricane season and had even read that there were a greater number of hurricanes anticipated in 2005.

Needless to say, we were caught in the southern perimiter of Hurricane Katrina near Cuba and had to be routed back to Ft. Lauderdale instead of Tampa. Carnival was fantastic and did everything they could to ensure everybody was either re-booked for their flights from FLL (for those who booked air thru Carnival) or placed on chartered buses to return to Tampa for their cars/flights.

Hey Emmysmommy, I was on that cruise too! I agree that carnival handled the whole situation very well. We had to wait forever for the bus, but that really had nothing to do with them. To the OP, it hasn't deterred me from cruising in hurricane season. We are booking this week for a cruise in September of this year and one in August of 2007:) I definitely would get the insurance but you can't beat the prices. Have a great cruise and don't worry. I figured as long as I got on the ship and cruised ANYWHERE I would have a great time! Have a blast on yours!:D

My wife and I cruised on the Victory leaving out of Miami on 09/11/05. This was our first cruise and I was a little worried about the hurricane season. But, we were blessed with great weather and the ship did visit every port on the schedule. I remember it only raining one day. Overall, we had a great time at a great price and are going to try it again on the Triumph this sept.

June/July are peak cruising months.

August/ September are peak hurricane months.

Hurricane "season" runs from June 1st, thru Nov. 30th [6/12]

Last year there was a hurricane in May and one in December. So you just never know. Travel insurance is a must with kids anyway.

Dan

That's 'cause mother nature cannot read a calendar!

What does the insurance cover? I called Carnival last weekend and the lady told me that it pretty much covered if one of us got sick and could not make the trip. I may have misunderstood.

My recommendation, unless Carnival is arranging your air also, is to get insurance from a third party. We cruised the Imagination last August when Katrina first hit. Our five day cruise became a seven. This was great for us but there were some unexpected things to handle. Our insurance covered our internet time used to find a hotel in Miami since we could not get a flight out the day we arrived back in Miami and my husband to contact his office and his clients. It covered our meals in Miami, the tips we paid for the two additional days on the ship, the additional parking charges at Philadelphia airport, and the extra money we paid our pet sitter. We had CSA's Freestyle Luxe. They were very helpful, never questioned a charge, and we had a check in just a few weeks.

Hope this is helpful.

I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Tampa our weather forecasters can't get it right a week ahead most of the time.

The only station to watch for weather in Tampa is Bay News 9!

Archived