QE2 & Philippines

bobby1119

I was wondering if anyone knows why the QE2 is bypassing the Philippines on this year's world cruise and again on next year's cruise. Last year she was scheduled for Manila but went to Subic Bay instead. Given the many wonderful Filipinos on ship, I was certain that the ship would call in at Manila. Personally, I have dear friends who live near Manila and was hoping to see them next year while on the world cruise. Sure beats the long plane rides I have had to make in the past!

Thanks,

Bobby

P&O's Aurora, was also scheduled to call on her World Cruise this year but the call was cancelled.Instead, they proceeded directly to Hong Kong and had an overnight there.

The reason given was security,due to the current political unrest.

Unlike the QM2 fiasco when she missed ports,I think missing Manila would be a very popular move with the passengers, given the present conditions there.

P&O's Aurora, was also scheduled to call on her World Cruise this year but the call was cancelled.Instead, they proceeded directly to Hong Kong and had an overnight there.

The reason given was security,due to the current political unrest.

Unlike the QM2 fiasco when she missed ports,I think missing Manila would be a very popular move with the passengers, given the present conditions there.

KiwiKruiser,

Thank you so much! I am on the full cruise next year, and I see you are from Auckland! I am so looking forward to visiting your country. Auckland sounds wonderful. I have a close friend who visited there last year (by plane) and she loved her week in NZ.

Hi Bobby,

The World Cruise next year will be a really exciting one to be on.The 25th Jubilee Cruise should be really special,plus you have all the excitement of meeting QM2 in Sydney.People down here are allready talking about it and planning where they will be for the big day to get the best views.

We only see the big ships during our summer and when they are on their World Cruises so calls by large ships are still a novelty to us and this ensures a warm welcome to our shores.

David.

Witrh three different attempted coups de etat by the military foiled witin the past two weeks, it is highly unstable at the moment.

We were in Manila 11-86 during another attempted overthrow, and my wife was frisked twice by local militia, in the vicinity of the Presidential Palace.

I'd just as soon stay at sea.

Hi Bobby,

QE2 went to Subic Bay last year because the berth they had previously used was being used by a ferry. I don't know why they have missed it this year and next, but in previous years it was always done one year and miss out the next, to rotate the schedule I suppose.

BRgds

Archived