why do people DO this?!? (connecting rooms)

styxfire

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You are ASS-U-ming that said person had a choice of tables at the tme he entered the facility.  at the time he entered

This is like the “pig parker” episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, where Larry parks crooked because he has no choice due to adjacent vehicles’ bad parking jobs, but when he returns to his car, the other cars are gone, and he looks like the jerk.

So, this is a first for me.  People purposely book connecting cabins when they don't need two cabins?

I don't think anyone does that purposely.  Many times, the cruise lines assign cabins.  

And, in all frankness, I try NOT to book a connecting cabin.  I don't know of anyone who actually books them on purpose.  I think randomly, it works out like that, though.

If I have a connecting cabin, and you offered me $100 in cash to switch to a non-connecting cabin that is the same, I'm on it.

Don't think it's a purposeful thing that someone does if they don't need one.

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You posted the definition of "join" which is an entire different animal. 

Look again, I posted both "adjoining" and "joined" because joined was used in the definition of adjoining.

Just because you @MoCruiseFan says "adjoining" means something and "connecting" means something different, doesn't mean they actually do.  Especially in light of the definitions from a source like Oxford that I posted. 

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:43 AM, Homosassa said:

I was giving a rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question.

However, why don't people treat the hallways by the cabins like they would the area outside their home bedroom  at night when trying to sleep? 

I imagine anyone in the household knocking on doors and carrying on a conversation would be quickly hushed.

Except it's not your household, it's a public cruise ship with thousands of people on vacation.  I certainly can see being considerate and not yelling in the corridors at night. But if someone told me to hush and stop talking when walking to my room I'd certainly tell them what they could do with their request.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rbxlady said:

This is like the “pig parker” episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, where Larry parks crooked because he has no choice due to adjacent vehicles’ bad parking jobs, but when he returns to his car, the other cars are gone, and he looks like the jerk.

My husband loves that show.  I was thinking more of parallel parking on the street, actually.  You know - where there is room for two cars between two driveways and someone parks smack in the middle instead of pulling up or backing up to leave room.  As for taking the big table, I had in mind the numerous times that I'd take the kids into a fast food place that was just about empty.  We had/have a big family so it was a bit of a pet peeve.  I guess it is just a matter of viewpoint.  My habit has been not to take more than I need as a way of not wasting resources.  Others think it's better to grab everything they can get and I'm sure there's a third group who are oblivious - nice folks who just don't live in a crowded area.  Just a comment - not a huge big deal.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

My husband loves that show.  I was thinking more of parallel parking on the street, actually.  You know - where there is room for two cars between two driveways and someone parks smack in the middle instead of pulling up or backing up to leave room.  As for taking the big table, I had in mind the numerous times that I'd take the kids into a fast food place that was just about empty.  We had/have a big family so it was a bit of a pet peeve.  I guess it is just a matter of viewpoint.  My habit has been not to take more than I need as a way of not wasting resources.  Others think it's better to grab everything they can get and I'm sure there's a third group who are oblivious - nice folks who just don't live in a crowded area.  Just a comment - not a huge big deal.

Don’t worry, I didn’t take your comment harshly, but the other comment made me think of Larry. Between that show and Seinfeld, I feel like he captured all the weird little annoyances we encounter in American life, so I often feel compelled to bring them up 🙂

8 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Look again, I posted both "adjoining" and "joined" because joined was used in the definition of adjoining.

Just because you @MoCruiseFan says "adjoining" means something and "connecting" means something different, doesn't mean they actually do.  Especially in light of the definitions from a source like Oxford that I posted. 

It is not just me.  It is the very definition of the word.  Next time you need a couple of hotel rooms that have a CONNECTING door between them, ask for adjoining rooms and see what you get.  Especially in light of the EXACT definition of ADJOING that I posted form dictionary.com

33 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

It is not just me.  It is the very definition of the word.  Next time you need a couple of hotel rooms that have a CONNECTING door between them, ask for adjoining rooms and see what you get.  Especially in light of the EXACT definition of ADJOING that I posted form dictionary.com

You completely ignored the definition I provided.  As I said, just because you say so, doesn't make it so.  

I have every confidence that if I asked a hotel for adjoining rooms, I'd get two rooms with a door between them.  

4 hours ago, rbxlady said:

Don’t worry, I didn’t take your comment harshly, but the other comment made me think of Larry. Between that show and Seinfeld, I feel like he captured all the weird little annoyances we encounter in American life, so I often feel compelled to bring them up 🙂

Totally agree.  Seinfeld uses a lot of the trivial stuff that flashes through your mind but then you dismiss it as being too trivial or "I'm probably being a jerk".  Larry David takes it all the way into "I AM being a jerk"

• Haha 1

Call your NCL PCC or TA if you want to find a connecting cabin.  They can see them, but we cannot on the deck plans in a mock booking.

That's it.  Here's my $100 ...  “I’m out!”

Edited by HuliHuli
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

You completely ignored the definition I provided.  As I said, just because you say so, doesn't make it so.  

I have every confidence that if I asked a hotel for adjoining rooms, I'd get two rooms with a door between them.  

The definitions your provided were 100% irrelevant.  It is not because "I": say so, it is because what I referenced fully is the EXACT definition of adjoining.

4 minutes ago, Lightnin42 said:

I pick a cabin that I like, say deck 14 cabin 14250. It’s near the elevators and one deck up to the buffet. I couldn’t care less if it is connected.

Unless you're a light sleeper and get noisy neighbors.  But, if you are fine with deliberately booking near the elevators and (maybe?) under the buffet/lido I have to think you are a sound sleeper.  I'm fine anywhere but my husband is a very light sleeper so I'm careful about cabin location to the point that I won't even take a free upgrade.  I'd probably book a guarantee if I was solo but I sure don't wish to be solo:)