Maui - Uber or Lyft

teamwanderer

(4) of us arrive via POA, Port Kahului Dec 4, 2022.  None of us have ever used Uber or Lyft.  Is both reliable or is one more reliable then the other for traveling from Port Kahului to rental car agency and then back to port from drop off of rental car. We believe we will be return back to the ship late at night.  Also, we are looking to rent a jeep - has anyone every used "Cruisin' Maui Rent-A-Car".  

11 hours ago, teamwanderer said:

(4) of us arrive via POA, Port Kahului Dec 4, 2022.  None of us have ever used Uber or Lyft.  Is both reliable or is one more reliable then the other for traveling from Port Kahului to rental car agency and then back to port from drop off of rental car. We believe we will be return back to the ship late at night.  Also, we are looking to rent a jeep - has anyone every used "Cruisin' Maui Rent-A-Car".

Uber is more reliable on Maui-- Lyft in our experience hasn't been as much. It will depend on where you're coming back from-- there will be plenty near the port and airport but availability will vary by where you are to come back. 

Don't use a third party discount rental. Book direct from the major agencies like Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc. Rental cars are still difficult and booking through a third party broker like this wont guarantee you that you'll have a rental. 

One thing I always do with a third party rental is go to the website for the major agency from which I will be renting.  Usually the third party site will give you 2 reservation numbers, theirs and the one for that agency.  Put in the agency number on their website to find your reservation.  If it comes up you should be good to go.  We rented on the Big Island in December of last year through one of the third party reservation websites and got a great rate.  Because I got such a good deal, I was concerned that I would not actually get a car but had no issues.  YMMV.  Good Luck!