Antarctic

toseaornottosea

For those of you who have been on a Seabourn Antarctic Cruise I would like to know how people dress while on the ship, both during the day (very casual I would guess) and at night (less casual but not dressy I would guess).   Not asking about how people dress while in Zodiacs or in kayaks.

As I thought about this, my first inclination is to say.....no difference.  Obviously people will pack different wardrobes for an Antarctic cruise as opposed to a Caribbean one, but just style-wise, I can't remember much difference in dress for Antarctica, compared to any other cruise.  Casual during the day, more dressy at night - dressi-ER anyway. 

Agree with Shark b8. Our Antarctic trip in 2018 was a Holiday cruise and it was quite dressy on formal night. New Years Eve party was fabulous. On our recent Arctic Venture trip there were two formal nights. A healthy mix of tuxes and sport coats. More casual folks were dressed smartly. No fashion police to the best of my knowledge. For the most part it was much more casual than a traditional cruise.

Agree with the other posters -  pretty much comparable in evening wear to other non-antarctic cruises.  I will note though that you should think about bringing a sweater or maybe a light down jacket for indoor daily wear.  With everyone running outside to see whatever special wildlife, or glacier or something else photogenic going by as you sail in those waters, the inside temps in many of the public places with access to the outside decks gets cool.  And you yourself may want to jump to an outside deck to take a picture without having to run back to your suite to get a jacket.  A warm sweater or vest will do the trick in a pinch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hamasgirl said:

Agree with the other posters -  pretty much comparable in evening wear to other non-antarctic cruises.  I will note though that you should think about bringing a sweater or maybe a light down jacket for indoor daily wear.  With everyone running outside to see whatever special wildlife, or glacier or something else photogenic going by as you sail in those waters, the inside temps in many of the public places with access to the outside decks gets cool.  And you yourself may want to jump to an outside deck to take a picture without having to run back to your suite to get a jacket.  A warm sweater or vest will do the trick in a pinch.

Good call! At a minimum I wear my down vest around the ship.

I found that having a down or fleece vest was quite handy. I would strongly discourage you from bringing a down jacket. The one provided by Seabourn with your parka works really well for those times you are standing out on an open deck. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

For those of you who have been on an Antarctic expedition on Seabourn can you tell me if there is a ship's photographer taking photos during your particular expedition and if those photos are available to the guests either as a gift or for purchase.  

In 2018 there was not. On the Venture this summer the photographer Daniel Fox emailed photos he took of us.  A interesting, talented and wonderful person. Just google Daniel Fox Photography. Nice book called Feel the Wild. Hopefully he will be on your trip.

We have sailed to Antarctica twice on Seabourn pre-Covid.  On both cruises there was a shipboard photographer/ videographer who took amazing shots of the entire cruise...its landscapes and wildlife. And on both cruises he/she had a drone that he sent out from the ship to get pictures that us passengers couldn't see.

The night before the end of the cruise the results were shown to everyone and when we came back from dinner we had a computer 'stick' with the entire result in our suite.  It was a gift from Seabourn to all of us.  I still have them both and occasionally look at them to remember the wonderful cruises that we had.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our Seabourn Antarctica experience in December 2017 was as hamasgirl described (memory stick gift).  On our September Venture cruise in September 2022, there was a photographer and a videographer on board, and a last-night showing of the cruise video.  However, rather than a memory stick, we were given a link to download the video.  No idea if this is the new norm, or if the stick will still be available in Antarctica.

There were no drone pictures available, since both drones had crashed and sunk on previous cruises! 😳🤫

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

No photographer like on other lines like say Crystal taking pictures as you board or with the captainb8f that was the op question.

Not the intention of my question. I’m trying to determine what camera equipment to bring and was curious to know if the ship’s photographer will be taking photos of the wildlife etc and will this pix be available for purchase?  I’m confident that if there is a photographer on board she/he will have more skills than I and more and better equipment than I.  From earlier replies it seems that will be the case. 

40 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

I’m confident that if there is a photographer on board she/he will have more skills than I and more and better equipment than I.

The professional photographer will take more photos and spend more time ashore and in kayaks. He was the only one out on a boat at a glacier viewing stop on our 2020 Antarctic cruise, for instance. His photos were much sharper than mine and taken with an artist's eye. We both received a memory stick.

I took my Cannon and took over 1000 photos which I pared down to about 150.  Yes the photographer expert will take many and I assume still true give you a USB drive at the end of the cruise.  Also offered several lectures and one on one help.  Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

1 hour ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Not a problem.  I'm not a photography aficionado.  Just want to have some photos tat I took.  I'm thinking of taking 2 digital compact cameras.  One has limited zoom capabilities.  

The other I will buy soon.  Trying to decide between on that has a 235 - 250 zoom lens and one that haas a 24 - 360 zoom lens.  Leaning towards the 24 - 360.