Star or Sun

I need some advice. I want to take my husband on a cruise for our 10th anniversary in July. I did all my previous research on the Star to Alaska and went to my travel agent to book only to find out that the entire cruise is sold to a charter. The agent told me I could book the same week on the Sun to Sawyer Glacier rather than to Glacier Bay on the Star. I am wondering if it would be better to go on the Sun the week I want to go, or to wait and go on the Star. Any help you guys can give me would be great. I really want this to be a great experience for me and my husband as this will be our first vacation without our son and he has always wanted to go to Alaska. Thanks.

If it were me, I think I'd wait and go on the Star. I've not cruised Glacier Bay (yet), but I understand it is the most beautiful glacier to see. I'd also rather port in Victoria, BC, rather than Prince Rupert, but again, I've never been to Prince Rupert.

You might try reading the Ports Of Call boards, there is a lot of great reading on Alaska there.

Have you considered another line, leaving out of Vancouver instead? There are so many different choices, it can be confusing, but for us, Vancouver is a destination in itself, very much worth a few days both pre and post cruise. Plus, you get the added benefit of more inside passage sailing, instead of open ocean sailing, the water can be more rough coming and going to Seattle.

Edit to add (where are my manners!), whatever you choose, have a wonderful Alaskan cruise, it is awesome!

We went to Alaska on the Sun a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time. We loved Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier, but have never seen Glacier Bay, so we can't compare the two.

While I can recommend the Sun, it's going to be up to you to decide which is more important -- the week you want to cruise, or the itinerary. Decisions, decisions :eek: .

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise. We loved Alaska and plan on returning again.

I have been on the Star, and on the Sky, which is the Sun's sister ship. (And is now the Pride of Aloha.) We went to Sawyer Glacier on the Sun, and into Glacier Bay on the Star.

There are good things to say about both ships and both itineraries. Tracy Arm (the journey that takes you to Sawyer Glacier) is really beautiful. However, by the time you get to the glacier viewing area, you only get to stay there a limited amount of time, then turn around and head back out.

With Glacier Bay, you are there almost all day and view several different glaciers. Some park rangers from Glacier Bay National Park board the ship and narrate as you glide slowly through the bay. There are many spottings of wildlife, but many people might not see them if it wasn't pointed out by the narrators.

While the journey through Tracy Arm is so beautiful, if you're not out on deck you might feel as if you will 'miss' seeing the glacier. Being in Glacier Bay all day is more relaxing and you can be out on deck some of the time and indoors looking out the rest of the time. You can have lunch while enjoying the views.

(I'm not trying to take anything away from Sawyer Glacier - just giving you an honest opinion, having done both trips.)

As far as the ships go, the Star is bigger and more glitzy. It has a couple more dining venues than the Sun, and we really love it. We loved the Sky too - there's nothing wrong with any of the ships! The Sun, being a little smaller than the Star might have more of a cozier feeling. It all depends on what you're looking for.

One more thing to think about is that the Sun leaves and returns on Saturday and the Star leaves and returns on Sunday. This might make a difference in your travel plans.

Bottom line - you cannot go wrong with either cruise. But if you forced me to choose, I would choose the Star and Glacier Bay.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Archived