Death of husband

My husband and I were scheduled to go on a Norwegian cruise the end of October 2022.  He recently passed away.  We have insurance through cruise line and I have decided to go on cruise since there will be other family members going also.  My question is - the prices have dropped on this cruise and if I were to book today as a single it would be a significant savings to what we booked as a double.  So I am wondering if the cruise line will refund the difference or even do a FCC or whether this would be something I could claim on my travel insurance.  

I'm sorry for your loss.  I would call NCL or your TA and ask them.  If they offer you what you want, take it and thank them.  If not, here are two scenarios that I see. Both should work.  Do the math and take the best option.

Option 1

• Cancel your husband.
  • NCL refunds taxes, fees and any other pre paids
  • Insurance refunds cruise fare
  • If NCL charges you a single supplement (they probably will), insurance reimburses you.
  • Net cost to you is 1/2 of what you originally paid for the two of you.

Option 2

• Cancel both of you
  • NCL refunds taxes, fees and any other pre paids for both of you
  • Insurance refunds cruise fare for both of you.
  • Re book at the current rate with the current single supplement.
  • Will only make sense if the fares are less than half of what you originally paid assuming a 100% single supplement. If you changed to a less expensive room category, this option may also be attractive too.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Edit:  With option 2, you would have to add another insurance premium.  With option 1, you would still be covered under your current plan.

Edited by Jersey42

One more important thing that I neglected to mention that could affect your approach and coverage.

If the cause of death was related to a pre-existing condition as defined in the policy, then you may not be covered for either option 1 or option 2.  Unfortunately, you may not know for sure until you make a claim.

Here is the wording from  the Texas NCL Platinum policy:

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your Certificate for which You, Your Traveling Companion, or a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date of Your Certificate.

The following exclusions apply to: Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Trip Delay, Accident and Sickness Medical Expense:

Loss caused by or resulting from:

1. Pre-Existing Conditions, as defined in the Definitions section;