Hiking Boots/Shoes recommendations for Iceland

berryvillebomber

Hello,

My wife and I will be going to Iceland in July of 2023 on Viking's Iceland's Natural Beauty cruise.
We plan on hiking the Golden Circle and many other parts of Iceland.
Do we need hiking boots/shoes?  If yes, what brands would you recommend?
I have tried LL Bean and I did not find them comfortable for me.  I have very flat feet.
Thank you for your help.
Michael

We are hikers, and we both have found that shoe fits vary, even among the same brand. We both add support insoles, purchased at our local outdoor store. My best advice is to go to a place with lots of options, and try on shoes, with and without insoles added. I like North Face, hubby likes Merrill. Again seek out a store where you can try the boots with wool socks. REI, Bass Pro, Cabela, even Dicks Sporting goods are options to try. We only buy waterproof boots…learned the hard way! Glad you’re shopping now, as they do need breaking in. I wear mine on daily walks, especially close to a hiking trip. We too are cruising  to Iceland July2023..can’t wait! 

I can recommend Salomon Men's Quest 4D 3 Gore-TEX Backpacking Boots (I buy them a half-size bigger) and use them with Merino wool socks. In the pic I am wearing them at the Fagradalsfjall eruption site in Iceland (September 2021). Don't underestimate the value of layers, waterproof jacket and leggings, and trekking poles. Have fun!

20210905_155433.jpg

Go to REI or a similar specialty store and have them fit you.  My current hiking shoes are Keen Terradoras, which are waterproof.  My preferred Merrill’s have decided that 10.5 size isn’t necessary in many styles, 10 (too tight) or 11 (too loose) should be good enough.  
Most people have brands of shoes that they find fit them best.  I know there are only about 4-5 brands of shoes in my closet.  

Strongly recommend waterproof or water -resistant boots! They get serious rain in Iceland. 

I have flat feet and wear orthotics. I love the Hoka Anacapa hiking shoes. They also come as boots. Good treads, good stability. They come in men’s and women’s sizes. You can try them on at REI.

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/men-hiking/anacapa-mid-gtx/1122018.html

In August we did not check in at Harpa.  We had Viking air.  They picked us up at the airport (early AM), took us to a restaurant for a breakfast, then took us to the dock where we checked in a trailer next to the ship.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, kingfish45 said:

On the August 14 trip. Have you been able to fine out where we check in for the cruise. I think I read that we check in at the Harpa center and they take us to the ship. Need to know before booking a hotel

If you are coming from a hotel on your own, it is more than likely that you will go directly to the ship to check in. Plan to arrive on the dock no earlier than late morning -- or a bit later if you want to avoid the crowd that forms when the doors first open.

There is no cruise terminal in Reykjavik, hence no seating area for those waiting to board. That is why Viking was using Harpa as a staging area for guests arriving on early morning flights (and there are a lot of them) on the Welcome Back cruises in 2021 (when they had to super-clean everything before they could let the next pax on board). Things have changed a bit since then -- but not the fact that there is no cruise terminal.

So, where to look for a hotel. Here is the advice I got from my brother about choosing a hotel.  Pick one in the center of town. Pick one that has multiple restaurants nearby, especially if you choose lodgings that don't have a restaurant in the building. Why? Because of the weather. There aren't a lot of taxis in the town and even fewer when it is pouring rain. Plus you are closer to the things you want to see. My advice is to go with one of the chains; they may cost more but you won't get any surprises (like a fourth floor walk-up).

Otherwise, fantastic itinerary!!!!!

• Like 1