Panama Canal in 10 days r/t, Feb 07???

CStorm

We are very interested in doing a Panama Canal cruise in Feb 2007 but we need a 10 night because we don't want to leave our kids behind for too long. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are we making a huge mistake doing a r/t instead of a full transit?

No doubt that the full transit is the "whole enchilada." As long as your 10 day includes a partial transit, I believe you would enjoy it. The partial transit usually locks thru Gatun Locks and discharges passengers in Gatun Lake to connect with a variety of tours. You may elect to stay onboard and lock back thru Gatun and then dock in Cristobal where there is some shopping and the touring passengers reunite with the ship.

A R/T may be a good starter and you could take the full transit some other time. Like anywhere else, you'll never take it all in the first time.

BB48

By all means do the r/t on the Coral Princess. We did just that and we still got to see one of the locks(Gatun) and then if you choose then go on an excursions. I assume you are talking about the r/t from FLL. You also have the option of taking an excursion that will take you to the other two locks on the Pacific side. Check the Princess web site for excursions. This coming May we are doing the full transit on the Coral from FLL to S.F. So try the partial transit. you will love it.

Marilyn

By all means do the r/t on the Coral Princess. We did just that and we still got to see one of the locks(Gatun) and then if you choose then go on an excursions. I assume you are talking about the r/t from FLL. You also have the option of taking an excursion that will take you to the other two locks on the Pacific side. Check the Princess web site for excursions. This coming May we are doing the full transit on the Coral from FLL to S.F. So try the partial transit. you will love it.

Marilyn

Thanks so much! We are going to Alaska in July and I'm already worried about where we are going next! We are on Celebrity for Alaska but I think Princess would be OK. I'm not sure I like that personal dining thing, but it's still a long way off.

Just did a 10-night Panama Canal cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas doing a partial transit. This was the BEST cruise I've ever been on! If you want an idea of how good, check out my posts on the thread "Examining the Bars on the Brilliance of the Seas" (here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299889). I will be posting a full review soon. Our cruise was a partial transit, but I took the Panama Canal by Ferry Excursion so I got to go through all the locks and see everything. It was amazing.

The rates on the Feb 2? Panama/Costa Rica/Roatan trip in Feb 07 might be what you're looking for since you're already familiar (or will be after Alaska) with Celebrity. The prices are lower, the ship is smaller & older, and therefore doesn't have some of the M class ship amenities like T pool and extra restaurant. But it does have the Celebrity experience of great service.

You could take one of the shore excursions that take you thru 2 locks of the canal (Canal by ferry boat) or one that stops at one of the locks on a trip to Panama City (two ocean experience) (both full day tours), or a shorter excursion to Portobello etc. with a stop at Gatun locks, or just take a cab from Colon to Gatun. Figure in the cost of the tour to the price of the cruise to compare it with a cruise line that gives you a partial transit.

The rates on the Feb 2? Panama/Costa Rica/Roatan trip in Feb 07 might be what you're looking for since you're already familiar (or will be after Alaska) with Celebrity. The prices are lower, the ship is smaller & older, and therefore doesn't have some of the M class ship amenities like T pool and extra restaurant. But it does have the Celebrity experience of great service.

You could take one of the shore excursions that take you thru 2 locks of the canal (Canal by ferry boat) or one that stops at one of the locks on a trip to Panama City (two ocean experience) (both full day tours), or a shorter excursion to Portobello etc. with a stop at Gatun locks, or just take a cab from Colon to Gatun. Figure in the cost of the tour to the price of the cruise to compare it with a cruise line that gives you a partial transit.

I found that cruise, it's Feb 9th and it is a GREAT price! $2500 for 2 for an ocean view. I really want a balcony but they are sold out. I might book it and see if any open up when deposits are due. I understand that sometimes happens. I looked at the suites which are only $3400 but again, it's the Zenith suite and no balcony. Not worth it to me. Thanks!!

I'll put my vote in for the Coral Princess, also. I am part of a group of 5 couples booked on the 02/07/07 Panama Canal sailing. This will be our second Princess cruise having sailed on the Golden in 2005. We thoroughly enjoyed the ship. I think you will as well. I've sailed on Celebrity and don't see much difference.

The personal choice dining is not required. They have separate restaurants for the traditional early and late assigned table dining.

We also could only get away for a 10 day cruise. This itinerary seemed to fit nicely. Also, our sailing will be over Valentine's Day. We thought a nice way to celebrate.

We chose the 11 day Panama on RCCL's Brilliance of the seas, because besides Aruba, which we have been to just once, we have not been to any of the other islands. We contemplated the Coral, but we have been to jamaica 3 times, cozumel 5, and grand cayman 4.

On the BOS there is also a 10 day version with a slightly different itinerary and I have heard wonderful things about this ship.It is a R/T and most of those were 14 days and we have to cut down somewhere, LOL. (two kids in college)

We got an aft balcony to have a great view of going through the locks. Though we will probably roam around the ship to get all the different views.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived