SFO to/from Quito

CSloan

I'm trying to decide if it's too early to book airfare for Celebrity Xpeditions. We leave November 24, returning Dec 4. I've booked air thru Celebrity @ $949pp just to make sure I have air secured. I found a fare on AA for $767pp. The AA is non-refundable, with the exception of illness or schedule change. If the price goes down, they won't refund cash, but will refund with a credit voucher.

So, what would you do? Wait and see if the fare gets any lower? (AA looks like they have the best price and schedules.)

I'm trying to decide if it's too early to book airfare for Celebrity Xpeditions. We leave November 24, returning Dec 4. I've booked air thru Celebrity @ $949pp just to make sure I have air secured. I found a fare on AA for $767pp. The AA is non-refundable, with the exception of illness or schedule change. If the price goes down, they won't refund cash, but will refund with a credit voucher.

So, what would you do? Wait and see if the fare gets any lower? (AA looks like they have the best price and schedules.)

I fly AA to South America 4 times per year. Their South American service is pretty decent.

Are you really asking if you should save almost $400.00??? LOL

You are locked into the Celebrity price, so any saving is definitely a saving. Celebrity air includes the transfers, so you may want to check how much the transfers alone are or find a private van, etc. to get you to the ship.

AA generally will only refund the difference AFTER you have paid $100.00 change fee. I don't anticipate prices will go down much, if at all.

Buy your own travel insurance (NOT the cruislines) and include the price of air in that insurance. You will then be covered for unexpected changes.

Of course book your own air. Not only will you be saving money, but you will have control over when and what airline you fly.

Just an aside. I stated you would pay the change fee and then be vouchered the difference. That is incorrect. AA is much more lenient about vouchering the differnce on international. On domestic, you will always pay the change fee on non-refundable tickets.

Just an aside. I stated you would pay the change fee and then be vouchered the difference. That is incorrect. AA is much more lenient about vouchering the differnce on international. On domestic, you will always pay the change fee on non-refundable tickets.

Yes - the fine print says there is no charge if it's changed/cancelled due to illness or schedule change.

Thanks.

I guess I'm just worried about making the flight arrangements this far out. If we have to cancel prior to final cruise pmt date (not due to illness), it looks like we would have to reschedule the flight or lose the $$. This is the hardest part for me - making the right decision!

Yes - the fine print says there is no charge if it's changed/cancelled due to illness or schedule change.

Thanks.

I guess I'm just worried about making the flight arrangements this far out. If we have to cancel prior to final cruise pmt date (not due to illness), it looks like we would have to reschedule the flight or lose the $$. This is the hardest part for me - making the right decision!

Looks like you are flying Thanksgiving. Might be difficult to secure decent priced tickets much later than June. If you are worried about fare drops, here are the AA rules for "international" itineraries. http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Booking_Ticketing/Reissue_Rollovers/rollover_lower_fare.jhtml

However, if you are worried about cancelling for "any reason", you can purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance on insuremytrip.com . Here is a description of the policy. http://www.smartertravel.com/advice/ed/advice.php?id=104465

It is definitely more expensive than standard travel insurance. And if you only purchased the 75% policy, you would be better off with the change fees.

And after paying any change fee required by AA, you would always have the dollar value balance of your tickets for one year. You DO NOT have to reschedule the exact flights or destination, if you are willing to pay the change fees.

Now you have to sit down with the calculator and figure it all out. I don't envy you the job. Your original question-save the $400.00.

Ok, I feel better now, thanks to you folks. I went ahead and did my own reservations on AA. I did call Celebrity to confirm that they would still transport to/from Quito airport, and they said definitely. So, we're all set.

We already had travel insurance (including cost of air), but it wasn't "for any reason" insurance, but I think we'll be ok.

Thanks again!

Archived