Adding days to Credit Card travel insurance

sunviking90

Has anyone done this? I used my HSBC World Elite Mastercard for our upcoming T/A but the trip limit is 31 days and I just realized we are actually going to be away for 33 days. We are travelling in Europe for 2 weeks until the cruise which is only 16 days but the policy kicks in as soon as we leave Canada, even though that part of the trip is not prepaid. Sooo, we are 2 days short. I will call HSBC insurance department on Tuesday to see if I can add a couple of days, but wondered if anyone has come across this. 

TIA

35 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Has anyone done this? I used my HSBC World Elite Mastercard for our upcoming T/A but the trip limit is 31 days and I just realized we are actually going to be away for 33 days. We are travelling in Europe for 2 weeks until the cruise which is only 16 days but the policy kicks in as soon as we leave Canada, even though that part of the trip is not prepaid. Sooo, we are 2 days short. I will call HSBC insurance department on Tuesday to see if I can add a couple of days, but wondered if anyone has come across this. 

TIA

Yes,I have done it with  CIBC , 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

TIA

I called HSBC, but they said they don't extend the 31 days.
But sometimes I don't get the feeling the phone agents know all the correct answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

I called HSBC, but they said they don't extend the 31 days.
But sometimes I don't get the feeling the phone agents know all the correct answers.

Thank you! I read the insurance PDF again to see what it said and finally found it says the insurance just terminates after 31 days. I just now bought a 2 day medical top up from manulife/Costco that I’m happy with. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 1:31 AM, sunviking90 said:

TIA

I did it with the Royal Avion Card - just asked to top up 9 days from my 31.   

Read your policies . I have 4 days on my TD card and tried to get an additional 4 days and i couldnt pass the medical as i have two issues . 

So i didnt have any coverage at all with the credit card .

I bought some insurance with the Snowbird Association ( manulife )

3 hours ago, loman said:

Read your policies . I have 4 days on my TD card and tried to get an additional 4 days and i couldnt pass the medical as i have two issues . 

So i didnt have any coverage at all with the credit card .

I bought some insurance with the Snowbird Association ( manulife )

When you try add on days , the agents for CIBC and TD will go though the medical question with you 

to see if you qualify

At a CAA ( AMA in Alberta ) info meeting  a few years back., they said invovlving 2 different Insurance was not a good idea.  Said if there happened to be a medical  issue while  the first policy was in effect  -by the time the first one ran out , the second one would say it was now  pre existing and would not want to cover for the extra few days.    Have no idea if that would really work that way - but do not want to find out first hand.  May have been CAA (AMA)  idea of trying to keep all the business for them selves. 

10 hours ago, jeda4137 said:

At a CAA ( AMA in Alberta ) info meeting  a few years back., they said invovlving 2 different Insurance was not a good idea.  Said if there happened to be a medical  issue while  the first policy was in effect  -by the time the first one ran out , the second one would say it was now  pre existing and would not want to cover for the extra few days.    Have no idea if that would really work that way - but do not want to find out first hand.  May have been CAA (AMA)  idea of trying to keep all the business for them selves. 

That doesn’t  surprise me , salespeople will tell you anything 

The CC agent is an insurance broker so if they miss inform you their license is on the line 

Since I am over 65 , I only get 10days on my wife’s card , I was able to add another 18 days for about $95 , and they don’t cut you off if you still need medical care after the policy is up 

They mail you out a20 page policy stating everything