Eating Gluten free on PCL

skidroe

I have celiac so I need to have a gluten free diet.  Princess does a great job handling any type of dietary issue.

On the first day of a cruise, I always go to the dining room where I have reservations and ask to speak to the director of restaurant (not sure of the new title?).  He/she/they go over the process of ordering gf food in the dining room.  Then, at dinner, you will receive the next day's menu so you can preorder your meal.  Princess prefers that you do that to minimize your wait time for dinner--if you don't preorder, they will still make almost anything gf.

When you're on one of the Royal class ships, the buffet will have signs throughout indicating what food is gf.  I've found that on the smaller ships, that does not happen.  I meet with the chef at the buffet to get a walk through on what I can eat.  Very accommodating.  On most ships, you can have cooked to order omelets, pancakes, waffles, toast and muffins.

The International Cafe has gf options.  The staff working there are generally pretty aware of different dietary issues and can help you get safe food.  In the morning, I get gf muffin and egg bites.

You can get gf pizza at Alfredo's/Gigi/s as well as Slice.  The poolside grill does not have gf buns available; I generally bring my own so I can get a burger.  But, they will give you a burger on their gluten free bread.

When ordering room service, you can customize your order to make it gluten free.  I also call to make sure they got the message that my food needs to be gf.

With drinks, I stay away from the drink mixes.  The beverage manager cannot guarantee that they are gf.  I also request Absolut or Tito vodkas--both are certified gf and included in the beverage package.

I'm currently on the Enchanted and have had wonderful service and food. Last night I had the goat cheese souffle--outstanding!  We love to cruise Princess because they can accommodate me!

Edited by disneyochem

34 minutes ago, sassy12 said:

Thank you for describing your great protocol.  Right now I  am having issues and think I will need to go that route.

This truly eases my mind.  Not sure what's ahead but what I am now doing isn't working. 

Not sure what issues you are having but you may also want to try eliminating Dairy from your diet.  I never had any digestive issues but went to a Naturopath about my asthma. He did testing and gave me a list of foods to avoid.  I noticed a short white later that I wasn’t having asthma attacks when people were smoking outside near me.  He said most people shouldn’t be consuming dairy..

On 10/11/2022 at 1:36 PM, skidroe said:

How does PCL help with gluten free diets aboard ship?

Do they give the next day dinner menu, so that the galley can make a gluten free dinner?

I did in July on Caribbean Princess & it was amazing. A friend is celiac while I am gluten sensitive.

Head waiter touched base with us the 1st night & we would pre-order for the next night. 

So we did need to eat in same MDR each night but it wasn't necessary to eat at same time/table.

I was on 2 weeks & the 1st week they had not gotten some supplies in port so a few things they could not accommodate. It bothered him so much he went above & beyond the 2nd week. But he RARELY said they couldn't do something. Honestly it made my cruise very special. 

On Discovery they weren't as attentive...I don't think a waiter realized it until the 2nd or 3rd day.

I generally know what I can eat & what to avoid so not a big deal & family we sailed with were a bit more casual about when & where to dine so I just went with it.

On NCL a few days in I asked them to REMOVE my gluten free notation from my reservation. If I tried to order something they would REFUSE to serve it to me even if I said I knew it was fine (i.e. I know sauces with a bit of flour do not bother me). Now, if you are celiac, you welcome their thoroughness, I'm sure!

I an celiac and have had good experiences recently on Discover and Ruby.  I do wish that in the buffet a simple “GF” on the food would be easier.  It’s a bit of a pain to seek out a chief ( get one with a high white hat-the regular cooks may or may not know) for both the passenger and the chief.  Over all, not a problem eating GF on Princess.