Opera or Sinfonia? Does it even matter? What about the Aurea discount on drink packages?

no1talks

We are beginning to plan our '24 cruise.

After Seascape in '23, we will have done two Caribbean turns in YC. For '24, we want to take a spin in the Med. After three trips on big ships, we are open to booking accomodations on a smaller ship and just having Diamond and Aurea perquisites, if schedule or itinerary leads to it. The smaller ships on Med duty in '24 (whole or part) will be Opera and Sinfonia. Are there any differences between these two ships for a potential Aurea suite cruiser? I know both are Lirica class and that means many similarities, but I ask just in case cruisers with time on these ships know better.

Regarding Aurea's current inclusions, do any of you know if it's a better deal to book a suite that includes drinks (Easy pkg.) and then upgrade to Premium Extra or book a suite as "Lowest Cruise Rate" and buy Premium Extra with the Aurea discount. I find MSC's Aurea perk, "Discounted drink package option available at the time of booking," to be a bit vague. No percentage is mentioned and I don't know if upgrading an included Easy drink pkg. is subject to the discount.

In general terms of pre-YC ships, can one recreate some of the niceties of YC? For example, do those ships offer a good afternoon tea service? We are big fans of low tea in the afternoon, before dressing for dinner, and YC did not disappoint!

What are some other things you YCers do to improve your experience on a Lirica or Musica class ship? As always, thank you in advance for your input.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 3:32 PM, no1talks said:

Regarding Aurea's current inclusions, do any of you know if it's a better deal to book a suite that includes drinks (Easy pkg.) and then upgrade to Premium Extra or book a suite as "Lowest Cruise Rate" and buy Premium Extra with the Aurea discount. I find MSC's Aurea perk, "Discounted drink package option available at the time of booking," to be a bit vague. No percentage is mentioned and I don't know if upgrading an included Easy drink pkg. is subject to the discount.

Not a former YC'er and didn't book Aurea on the Sinfonia for next year, but, did book Fantastica the other day.  I'm curious as to which you decided and if you were offered the package at a discount during booking and/or the option to upgrade after the booking in your cruise planner?  I was offered neither upgrade opportunity during booking or in the planner afterwards after choosing a promo that included EZ plus.

Depending from where you book, chances are your only way to actually book an Aurea suite is under the "Easy Plus + WiFi" ever ongoing promo. Considering you'll embark from an Italian Port, I suggest that if Premium Xtra is very important for you, that you upgrade it at booking or at least before the sailing date, once onboard there'll be a 15% upcharge plus an Italian VAT state tax added to the account.

No afternoon tea offered on the non YC ships, and only offered at a fee outside the YC on the brand new World Europa. They'll have some hot water, little tea packets and some small pastries at the buffet though. They might to sell premium teas, possibly with a pastry or something at one location that serves as coffee place. You'll see it on the dailies.

Have a nice day!

On 10/14/2022 at 9:32 PM, no1talks said:

Are there any differences between these two ships for a potential Aurea suite cruiser? I know both are Lirica class and that means many similarities, but I ask just in case cruisers with time on these ships know better.

Been on both, I really do not remember ANY difference. But surely there are some if one searches long enough🙂

On the other hand the differences between West Med and East Med cruises are gigantic. So really no use to think if the two ships are slightly different or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Been on both, I really do not remember ANY difference. But surely there are some if one searches long enough🙂

On the other hand the differences between West Med and East Med cruises are gigantic. So really no use to think if the two ships are slightly different or not.

And considering those itineraries done by the smaller ships in the med tend to be extremely port intensive with longer stays and rare, if any, sea days, the ships amenities are really not that important as well. One goes on said itineraries with what suits them the most in terms of ports of call.

• Like 1