Live: Oct 22 2022 Constellation Mediterranean Passage Transatlantic

mahdnc

33 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

A few random thoughts:

1. Angeline, our stateroom attendant, did not have our room made up for us after we returned from dinner tonight and last night. She apologized and said that she didn't realize that we had early seating until now. So we should be good. 

2. Last night was Evening Chic. Knowing that there is a recurring question on this CruiseCritic board about how many people actually dress up, I counted the number of males wearing suits that I could see from our table in the MSE. The answer was 18 out of 60 (including me who was in a suit). So 30%. One data point. Early Seating. 

3. I've been reading about how long room service can take. We've called room service twice. Once for a late lunch after we got back from our flat tire shore excursion at Toulon (45 min turnaround time). Another time was tonight when we ordered dessert (49 min turnaround time). There is no way to order room service using our stateroom television. None of the short cut buttons on our stateroom telephone go to room service. You have to know to dial "52". After dialing there was no hold time before a live person answered. 

71D79379-CCF9-4E50-AD54-FD71DF62F65E.thumb.jpeg.7ba75cb03c8769481a7b93cfd2189dc1.jpeg

4. NFL football games were shown on our stateroom television. The big problem for me was that my Steelers (@ Dolphins) had a Sunday night game. Normally a good thing because it guarantees I can watch them at home, playing on Sunday evening was not a good thing on this cruise because it meant that the game started at 1:30 am since we're in Europe and so I couldn't watch it. It didn't matter because they lost anyway. It's going to be a long season. 

During our last couple of post Covid cruises it's been a struggle to have the stateroom attendant service the room in an appropriate time.  My sense is that they have a lot more cabins.  It seems like the room attendants start at one end and work to the other.  This was an issue for morning and evening service.  It didn't matter when we went to dinner the state room attendant, nothing we could do changed the process of working from one end to another.  we just frond a way to work around his schedule. 

As far as our Steelers are concerned, it was good fortune that you were not able to watch them real time on Sunday.  They just need to find a way to generate more offense.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

You have to know to dial "52".

48 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

It's going to be a long season. 

On the first item - doesn't the room service menu still show the phone#?

We're in Colorado.  Looking for equal amounts of sympathy here.  2-5-0 as well.  At least with a bye week in Week 9, neither of us can lose another game that weekend.

Our next game is on the wrong side of the Atlantic where we'll probably embarrass the family again.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, canderson said:

On the first item - doesn't the room service menu still show the phone#?

We're in Colorado.  Looking for equal amounts of sympathy here.  2-5-0 as well.  At least with a bye week in Week 9, neither of us can lose another game that weekend.

Our next game is on the wrong side of the Atlantic where we'll probably embarrass the family again.

Yes, you are right. The room service page on the app does indeed show the phone number. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, canderson said:

And on the hardcopy menu in the cabin?  Seems I've always seen it there.

I have not located the hardcopy menu in our stateroom. I had presumed that it was a Covid casualty and was removed like I have found with many hotel rooms that I have stayed in. 

@Tee & Chilli,

The internet connection is "very slow" and, according to the Celebrity newsletter, is about to get slower during the mid Atlantic Ocean stage of our cruise.  

Having said that, the internet is currently functional which is the good news although my needs are not large. I can attach photos to my Cruise Critic posts and include photos with emails/texts to my family. Most importantly, we are able to see photos of our dog, Daisy, sent by our dog sitter. I also can place voice calls through FaceTime.  I haven't tried video calls nor video streaming yet. 

We have the Premium Wi-Fi package from the start of this cruise so I cannot comment about Standard Wi-Fi performance. 

I ran a speed test just a while ago for you to see the performance data. 

83264418-BA12-47BA-8D2F-8C95FE73881B.thumb.png.a81e040510f1f2fb6b130b8d9d7c75da.png

144DC8C9-2CAD-4BBB-9CE9-A38FC8A93355.thumb.jpeg.0233d3a26a49ee2f60d8d2a2f32fe2ea.jpeg

03A9C20B-CA7C-48EF-B370-720DBC929D47.thumb.jpeg.a80e067b996717f638c3a5672db77981.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

@Tee & Chilli,

For comparison, here are the onboard connection speeds I measured on our last two cruises. The Jan 2020 readings were from Solstice while we were sailing on the Tasman Sea toward Sydney. The Jan 2019 readings were from Reflection while she was sailing in the Caribbean. 

The reading at the very top of the table in the screenshot was taken at an airport lounge. 

A2FC7DB7-979E-4875-9CA6-3A3249E25F69.thumb.png.f9a621145e990d00d2ffc7aabe18a615.png

Edited by mahdnc

The ship is in great shape inside.  Our balcony could be better.  Lots of painted over rust and lots of paint drips on floor.  The sliding door is a bear to open.  

Service in the Rendezvous lounge has been dismal the past two nights, even with minimal guests.  Bartenders and waiters chatting among each other and watching the band instead of providing service.

Food has mostly been very good.  

Weather has been GREAT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

A few random thoughts:

1. Angeline, our stateroom attendant, did not have our room made up for us after we returned from dinner tonight and last night. She apologized and said that she didn't realize that we had early seating until now. So we should be good. 

2. Last night was Evening Chic. Knowing that there is a recurring question on this CruiseCritic board about how many people actually dress up, I counted the number of males wearing suits that I could see from our table in the MSE. The answer was 18 out of 60 (including me who was in a suit). So 30%. One data point. Early Seating. 

3. I've been reading about how long room service can take. We've called room service twice. Once for a late lunch after we got back from our flat tire shore excursion at Toulon (45 min turnaround time). Another time was tonight when we ordered dessert (49 min turnaround time). There is no way to order room service using our stateroom television. None of the short cut buttons on our stateroom telephone go to room service. You have to know to dial "52". After dialing there was no hold time before a live person answered. 

71D79379-CCF9-4E50-AD54-FD71DF62F65E.thumb.jpeg.7ba75cb03c8769481a7b93cfd2189dc1.jpeg

4. NFL football games were shown on our stateroom television. The big problem for me was that my Steelers (@ Dolphins) had a Sunday night game. Normally a good thing because it guarantees I can watch them at home, playing on Sunday evening was not a good thing on this cruise because it meant that the game started at 1:30 am since we're in Europe and so I couldn't watch it. It didn't matter because they lost anyway. It's going to be a long season. 

Game is on this Sunday at 1 PM, playing our E A G L E S! 🦅

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, countess5 said:

Game is on this Sunday at 1 PM, playing our E A G L E S! 🦅

Cheers! 

Perfect.  So I can get indigestion after dinner watching the game at 7pm ship time.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, mahdnc said:

A few random thoughts:

I know it's a rebuilding year, but go Steelers!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, mahdnc said:

This was last night at the Rendezvous Lounge. After I snapped the photo, I heard a "hello" behind me. It was @wayneg1 (Wayne and his wife Karen) who were enjoying the string music. I asked that we meet there at 5pm on the first sea day for drinks) because I want to get their perspective on the current British political situation. 

3CCEAA12-C2AB-463A-BDA0-E0FF97117035.thumb.jpeg.ef3f1503710d541b9c3488cf014ca5bb.jpeg

@mahdnc David, can you confirm where we are meeting tomorrow? You said Rendezvous Lounge but we were in Cellar Masters so not sure which. 

22 minutes ago, wayneg1 said:

@mahdnc David, can you confirm where we are meeting tomorrow? You said Rendezvous Lounge but we were in Cellar Masters so not sure which. 

Wayne, I meant where you were seated. So, Cellar Masters. Thanks for clarifying. See you they're tomorrow at 5pm. You are not required to wear your trademark Yorkshire rose shirt for identification. 

• Like 1

About half an hour ago a medical emergency was called out over the PA system (star code) while we were finishing dinner. The location for the call was port side Deck 5. Hope everything is ok. 

Meanwhile on the starboard side, we were treated to this:

9B673308-3B39-48D8-B5CC-4AFD0B2C1679.thumb.jpeg.86ed56c38ab9f14482ae26ee73e1707b.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

We left Cartagena under sunny skies.

C0A1E3AC-79F7-490D-8EEF-DD395AB68C26.thumb.jpeg.fde9f019d45bd6212747d57cd236de76.jpeg

I had a chance to talk to our balcony neighbors ( @biggerboat47) for a few minutes before my wife and I headed off to dinner. 

152701A0-3849-4B4D-AAB6-115D67068DB0.thumb.jpeg.3b139db38325a182046fa5bee2f03c3f.jpeg

We are now making our way to the Azores (Ponta Delgada) which involves two sea days and two favorable clock changes. 

974058E8-57E5-4456-A9A7-0D9343A4FAC6.thumb.jpeg.80d6be061eb95ead272adf1afb81c19f.jpeg

• Like 5