Can someone please explain the LOVE BOAT Sale?

Nightowl11

When I looked at several cruises and categories and different dates that have the Love Boat Sale Banner that includes the WiFi, Crew appreciation, Drinks, etc., You have to choose the Princess Plus option and pay more.  This is the same as that has the other banner for the up to 30% off.   I was under the impression that the Love Boat sale included all those things for free, at no additional cost.  That for the Love Boat Sale special, you would get the WiFi, Crew appreciation, drinks, etc at the Standard price.  What is the point of saying it is a sale, when it actually is not?  

I don't drink alcohol but my sister does, so how is paying for the plus beneficial to me?  I was thinking since it was included in the package at no additional cost, then I would just not use it.  Can 1 person pay the standard and 1 person pay the plus? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nightowl11 said:

When I looked at several cruises and categories and different dates that have the Love Boat Sale Banner that includes the WiFi, Crew appreciation, Drinks, etc., You have to choose the Princess Plus option and pay more.  This is the same as that has the other banner for the up to 30% off.   I was under the impression that the Love Boat sale included all those things for free, at no additional cost.  That for the Love Boat Sale special, you would get the WiFi, Crew appreciation, drinks, etc at the Standard price.  What is the point of saying it is a sale, when it actually is not?  

I don't drink alcohol but my sister does, so how is paying for the plus beneficial to me?  I was thinking since it was included in the package at no additional cost, then I would just not use it.  Can 1 person pay the standard and 1 person pay the plus? 

No. You have to purchase the Plus package for both. Or you could just buy the standalone drinks package for your sister

• Like 1

I think that the perk is that you get the $100. onboard credit when you book with the Plus package.

I think that the first two passengers in each cabin BOTH have to do the Plus Package.  Not just one.

But I am not sure if there is any way around that.  

If you are cruising in the cabin with your sister, and you guys book with the Plus package, you would still get the Gratuities, Coffee and specialty coffees, waters, juice, soda, and the WIFI.  And the $100.00 perk.

We booked with a promo rate, before this sale started.  And if we had to cancel and re-book, for us it wouldn't be much benefit.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightowl11 said:

The short response would be "shell game"

But the long and short of it is that both people must buy the Plus package at $50 per day.  The break-even point is for each person to consume at least 3-4 alcoholic drinks per day.  But you can consume up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day or one person could drink up to 30 drinks per day if they drink their cabin-mate's allocation.  But they also have daily meetings for friends of Bill W and Dr. Bob on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

there are actually two versions of the Love Boat Sale one with the Princess Plus & one without, I was able to see the version without from the sale page & make a sample booking but my TA spent hours on the phone over several days to get it for us...still has the 30% off & the extra $100 excursion credit but not all the reps (even the ones who work with the TAs know about it & it has to be a new booking)

@Nightowl11, the marketing is a little misleading and not only Princess does this as I have received emails implying the same from other Travel agencies leading you to think, they are including the ‘plus’ amenities as a ‘gift’ opposed to these are included ‘if’ you chose to select the ‘plus’ fare, which of course if higher than the standard/basic fare.

The Love boat sale is a ‘true’ sale as it is allowing reduced refundable deposits and giving $100 shore excursion credit for passenger1 and 2. , maybe even up to 4 in the cabin, you need to check. Booking solo will give you $200 shore excursion credit and it has been reported you do not have to use this OBC for shore excursions but it will/may be treated as any other non refundable OBC that you can use for practically anything you purchase on board. We will not know for sure till someone actually sails on one of these cruises with the shore excursion OBC and reports back if Princess has updated it’s on board accounting system to differentiate this shore excursion OBC. 

I agree some of the marketing pop ups regarding the Love Boat Sale, even one here on cruise critic, implies you are getting the ‘plus’ amenities for ‘free’ as part of the ‘sale’. Nope, you will I only receive them if you opt to select the higher ‘plus’ or ‘premier’ fares, you do get $100 shore excursion OBC and reduced refundable deposit, which is a limited time offer and not normally offered, but Princess can extend the Love Boat sale or introduce another sale with similar or other perks such a free specialty dinner for 2 as they have in the past. Only Princess knows what their next sale is, sometimes they give Travel Agents a heads up on an upcoming sale or promo.

Edited by wallyj

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This thread is several months old...sale is long gone.  Once on board you can use OBC for anything.

Actually I started a new thread  on the topic….the sale may be gone but not all of the bookings have sailed.  So far the news is good - that you can use it for other things. 😀