Mercury Questions

YYC F/A

We're thinking of taking the Mercury up from Ensenda - Alaska in May on it's 11 night repo cruise... although we're entitled to interline rates, we're even thinking of going for one of the Sky Suites at the 'public' prices because they are reasonable and primarily because of the 'terrace / balcony' on the Sky Deck which is massive and will presumably give fantastic views of the Inside passage, Alaska scenery etc.

The difference in price between the regular 2A and the SS is $500 per person, which works out at about $45 a day.... The perx (other than maybe the free T pool useage) don't mean much, but an open question to anyone that might have had one of those Sky Deck Sky Suites with the extra large balcony/terraces on Galaxy or Mercury - worth it at this price vs regular 2A?

We do tend to spend a little more time in our accommodations than many cruisers, and in the past we've enjoyed being able to watch sunset etc with glass of wine from the privacy of our own balcony and on an Alaska cruise it'd be great to have some space to sit out and watch the scenery without having to rush up on deck every time something one 'must see' comes along!

The other question that those who've been on the Mercury (and possibly Galaxy) could maybe help with: Dining. To be honest, I've found conflicting information about dining on these ships. I know that there is no 'premium' restaurant like OceanLiners, Normandie etc. on the M class... but I've read in some reviews that there is a 'waiter service' section of the self service grill that is made up in the evenings with tablecloths and different menus? Aside from the regular buffet self service restaurant and the main dining room, what dining options exist on Mercury?

Anyone had dining service served in their cabin / on the balcony? Recommend it?

Any other Mercury tips or 'must knows' appreciated! ;)

Thanks for any info.

We sailed aboard Galaxy in an SS on the Penthouse Deck and had friends that traveled with us that had a Sky Deck SS.

The large balcony that came with the Sky Deck SS is very impressive and while it is a very personal decision, I think it is worth the price difference that you are looking at. A balcony that large will come in handy for a longer cruise such as yours (amazingly the SS balcony on the Sky Deck is much bigger than the balcony of the top suite on the ship). And yes, having your meals out there is awesome as long as the weather cooperates! Also it is nice having the larger cabin space that comes with an SS as well as a much nicer bathroom.

It has been a while since we sailed Mercury. But last year when we were aboard Horizon, the dining choices were room service, formal dining room, alternative restaurant (the cafe restaurant with the waiter service in the evenings that you referred to), and a sushi bar (also in the cafe restaurant). I think you will find these choices available on Mercury.

On this particular itinerary, you may find it just a bit too brisk on the Deck 12 Sky suite balconies.

I would opt for a suite on the Penthouse deck since they have roofs and will keep you dry.. and a bit warmer.

Hello,

The alternative dining room for dinner is in the buffert area on the Mercury. The room is converted into a dining room with waiter service. It is casual and low key but it is very pleasant.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

On the Mercury in Aug we ate dinner on our balcony not a sky suite and we were very happy eating and overlooking Juneau. Room service brought everything in on one large tray and we shared the dishes. The grandkids all had clam chowder in bread bowls and loved it. Yes we were wearing jackets but it was not all that cold.

We did this so that we could have maximum time in Juneau and still get a good meal. Ordered from the dinning room menu at 7:45p and was delivered about 8:15 to 8:30 can't remember exact time. We had early dinning and had missed our seating.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated!

I was sure I'd read about there being an 'alternate dining' option (section of the self service restaurant), but couldn't confirm it anywhere on the Celebrity website, so thanks for clarifying that.

on the mercury,in the evenings the buffet is converted to two separate restaurants.one,i think is italian?and the other a really good,[not great,but good sushi bar.]i think there is a token charge for a tip?maybe $5.00.certainly worth it.

We sailed on Mercury from Seattle last June doing the Alaska trip. We used the alternative dining in the buffet area in the evening twice. It was very good. They have a few choices each night. It was $2 extra per person. They generally had fish, chicken, and a steak each night. I had salmon both times, and it was excellent (I don't even like salmon very much, but this was very fresh and perfectly cooked). One nice thing is that the choices in the alternative dining are different than the main dining room. Maybe it isn't a specialty restaurant, but it is an excellent alternative when you have had a really long port day, don't want to dress for formal night, or just don't like the choices in the main dining room that night. BTW, Mercury's main dining room was also excellent. Trust the waiters and their recommendations. All in all, it was an outstanding trip.

Archived