Star Clipper embark port

brendash

I am sailing on the Star Clipper January 7, 2023 and everything I have says Puntarenas but have seen Puerto Caldera mentioned also so I am not sure.  Hopefully someone will have experience and settle the questions.  Also when I made final  payment I was told they no longer require covid insurance but talking to them last week was told it was required and boarding would start at 4 PM.  This seems later than sailings in Caribbean so still many questions.  I think the first sailing from Costa Rica is early December so hopefully we will learn how it all works.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Jan. 14 cruise.  Puerto Caldera is the cruise port to Puntarenas.  I'm 

still looking to make arrangements to fly to San Jose and then get to Puntarenas.  The Star Clippers rep quoted me $120/person which seems way high--especially since I would expect a number of passengers will need to make that trip.  (I've traveled to Costa Rica a number of times and was actually in Puntarenas on an NCL cruise in March.)    I recall the ship sails at 10 PM, so 4 PM boarding should be ok.    My thought is that we'll fly into San Jose the day before and spend the night near the airport.    I looked into staying near Puntarenas but didn't find anything tempting.

I am week before you on January 7, also found no hotels near port that caught my interest so am staying at Doubletree by Hilton Cariari San Jose which is close to airport.  Have been getting quotes from shuttle companies and quotes are $140 per trip not per person and say it takes about 1.5 hours. Was the $120 quoted by Star Clippers just for your transfer?

I have read they offer hotel and transfer but it was way too expensive for me.

• 2 months later...

Arrived San Jose yesterday and staying at Double tree by Hilton Cariari, really nice hotel very beautiful.

Transfer to port tomorrow with Morpho Vans, $149 each way for 1-5 people.  Plan to leave hotel at 11 am and drop luggage at port and spend time around port until check-in at 4 pm. Sunny and breezy in San Jose and cool in shade.  Really enjoying the food and local beer Imperial light and people are friendly and helpful.I

Will update as possible but not sure when next Wi-Fi will be available.  The more I visit central America

Columbia, Guatemala Hondouras, and now Costa Rica I really enjoy these countries and people. Get off ship 14th and fly back to Tennessee 17th so will post more then it not before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In San Jose now and when I get home will do review of my cruise in Costa Rica.  Any questions from those of you who will be on these cruises I will answer as best I can. I will say our last port was the only one I thought was worth the stop. Still enjoy Star Clipped cruises and staff is first class.

On 1/15/2023 at 3:01 AM, elklemi said:

In San Jose now and when I get home will do review of my cruise in Costa Rica.  Any questions from those of you who will be on these cruises I will answer as best I can. I will say our last port was the only one I thought was worth the stop. Still enjoy Star Clipped cruises and staff is first class.

Hi

I would be really interested to hear more about this cruise. We are doing our first starclipper cruise around the Grenadines (on Royal Clipper) in about 6 weeks, but had our honeymoon in Costa Rica a number of years ago, so provided we enjoy our Royal Clipper experience, we would seriously consider this one in the future as we adored our time in CR. However, maybe we are better off skipping the cruise and just visiting land! 

Jean

Jean, I think you will love the Grenadines and Bequia is one of my favorite stops ever. 
As much as I enjoy all my Star Clipper cruises I agree Costa Rica is a wonderful country to visit but the ports just don’t compare with the ones I the Caribbean. Just one of the stops was what I was expecting. I will admit that most people did excursions but I don’t care for ship sponsored excursions and do my own thing. I would come back to Costa Rica to visit but it will be land visit and will save my Star Clipper cruises for the Caribbean, enjoy Royal Clipper as I’m sure you will.

• Like 2