Sofa Beds

Fancy10

19 minutes ago, Fancy10 said:

I have booked a verandah cabin with a sofa bed.  How comfortable is the sofa bed for sleeping?

Need to know the ship and preferably the cabin number.

Some HAL ships have long sofas that flip lengthwise. They are quite comfortable both as a bed and as a sofa. Others have a loveseat that unfolds like the traditional household sofa-sleeper. While I have not experienced one on HAL, I suspect they are less comfortable as either!

2 minutes ago, Fancy10 said:

The ship is the Nieuw Stantendam. Cabin 5025

We'll be interested in responses to this too as our 20 yo son will be using the sofabed in our NS cabin.  I recall reading in other postings that your cabin steward can bring a foam mattress topper if the mattress is too firm (or I suppose too thin).

Be sure to let your steward know you need turn-down service so he/she can make up the sofa into a bed each evening.

1 hour ago, Fancy10 said:

The ship is the Nieuw Stantendam. Cabin 5025

Hi Fancy and @AFNavigator! These cabins (5022-46 port & 5025-49 starboard) have a firm-looking fold-out loveseat. I have no first-hand experience with these "third beds". As AF noted, if there are objectionable side-ways supports or just otherwise not comfortable, see what your cabin steward can do for you.

Here is a video to give you more of an idea (does not show the sofa folded out). It is 5034 on the Rotterdam (sister ship to NS). I believe this is the mirror image (left to right) of your cabin. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5tdv7B6ZSE&t=17s

• Like 1

Westerdam VB had objectionable side-ways supports for me, but ok for my 7 y.o.Mattress was comfy. 

Related We took out the mattress out of bunk bed (objectionable to us in that it was over our heads!)  and used that for my 15 y.o in my parents interior across the hall, which had a TON of room. mattress was comfy on floor. Might consider that

Edited by JesseLivermore