Encore Athens to Athens Oct 16-30 live-ish

calm down dear

Calm Down Dear,  I have just read this whole thread plus your review for which I am grateful. I have booked a very similar 14 day cruise from and back to Athens on the Encore in May, although most of the ports are different. The cruise is over my 70th birthday although I consider myself to act and like things those of a slightly younger age like. I decided that I wanted to go on a better quality cruise than my previous 20 something cruises as a treat to myself.

Last week we got off of a 9 night cruise from New York to Fort Lauderdale on the newest Celebrity ship 'The Beyond'. The cost was less than 30% of the cost of our proposed Seabourn cruise although 9 nights against 14. The cabin was similar to what we have booked, maybe a little smaller, although no bathtub which I love as personally I dislike showers. Also flights from London to the USA were obviously more than to Athens.

On the Beyond we had to pay additinally for specialty restaurants around $60 per head per meal. Yes I could tell they were slightly understaffed but the service was still pretty good. The production shows and guest entertainers were probably the best I have come across on a cruise. Plus of course so many more things to do onboard if that is your desire.

The food was very good in general but not to the standard we had on Oceania which was our last cruise prior to Covid. Drinks were included and we had no problem getting drinks. I am not a wine drinker, occassionally I enjoy a cocktail but my drink of choice is Johnny Walker Black Label I usually had about 3 a day but each one must have been equivalent to a quadruple, no mixer just lots of ice.

When I was looking for a cruise for this birthday I wanted to be where the weather should be warmish, shorts in the day weather etc. I know weather is never guaranteed the first 6 days of our Beyond cruise were rainy including the Souhern Caribbean and only the last two days were sunny and two days thereafter in Florida. 

I am hoping I have made the right decision having booked this cruise and the service and faults you and others have highlighted will improve by May.

One question, and I know it is the question that so many ask, but for men in the evening do they really have to wear long sleeve shirts or are short sleeve shirts or polo shirts acceptable when dining in the evenings (not the formal nights obviously)?

4 hours ago, Darspurs said:

One question, and I know it is the question that so many ask, but for men in the evening do they really have to wear long sleeve shirts or are short sleeve shirts or polo shirts acceptable when dining in the evenings (not the formal nights obviously)?

FWIW, on warm weather cruises, I often wear short sleeve higher end silk shirts or short sleeve high end Hawaiian shirts (subdued, not garish) for dinner. Although I have a couple, I find it hard to find long sleeve resort wear shirts with a warm weather look/feel. 
I would not wear a polo or golf shirt to dinner. 

• Thanks 1