Calling Home

I am sailing on Spirit in June with DH, and we are leaving our 5 yr old home. We have nextel for cell phones, will we be able to use them. If not how can we call home and how much will it be? Also, if needed can we be contacted on the ship? Please help, still a newbie.:o

I am sailing on Spirit in June with DH, and we are leaving our 5 yr old home. We have nextel for cell phones, will we be able to use them. If not how can we call home and how much will it be? Also, if needed can we be contacted on the ship? Please help, still a newbie.:o

some cell phones work on ships some dont... ours never has, we have verizon. i would call your carrier and ask...

also you can use the phone on the ship but it is pricey .. about 6$ per min... yes per min.. and if you call and no one answers , you still get charged... its ridiculous.. i would definetley check out calling collect at each port,, if the person will let you .. or get a international calling card...... i know i saw some threads about that on here... it saves money...

the cruiseline will give you a contact number to give people in case they need to get a hold of you.. its toll free but they still have to pay to call you also.. the same 6$ a min.....

we cruise all the time without our 5 yr old and i usually get a manilla or orange envelope and put in her medical card , and permission to treat note in case she needs medical treatment and on the outside i write the ship name , phone number, room # .. cell numbers and all closest friends /relatives.. all on one thing and whoever is watching my daughter will have it on their fridge with a magnet.....

hope this helps, i know you didnt ask about all of this.. but i just wanted to share.. have a great cruise...

:D

thank you for your help, the phone cards you are talking about have a certain dollar amount and can be bought at local corner store?:confused:

Don`t know what islands you are going to....it all depends where if your phone will work.

Do not buy a phone card due to the fact that they may not work on some islands. The islands want you to buy THEIR phone card. They usually are not that expensive. Buy it at a store......call from a phone....check and see if everything is alright and... boom......you are done:)

Archived